This article was republished with permission from fitnessrepublic.com.
Light and fresh side dishes are the perfect offering when attending picnics and BBQs. Don’t let a dietary restriction like gluten intolerance put a damper on your recipes. These gluten free side dishes are sure to satisfy everyone’s taste buds. So much so, in fact, your gluten tolerant guests might not know the difference.
1. Baked Eggplant with Mushroom and Tomato Sauce
(Recipe from Cooking Light)
- 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 8-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer.
- Broil for 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add onion, Italian seasonings, salt, garlic and mushrooms. Cover and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium-high; uncover and cook until liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Spread half of the mushroom mixture in the bottom of a 1 1/2-quart round baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce, then 1/3 cup mozzarella.
- Spread remaining mushroom mixture over mozzarella and top with remaining eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper and top with remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
(Recipe from Glutenfree Goddess)
- 1 pound gluten-free penne pasta
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 4 scallions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium yellow tomato
- 5 tbsp vegan mayo
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente. Drain, rinse with cool water, and drain again.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toss gently to coat. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the grill or grill pan to medium heat.
- Grill the zucchini, asparagus, grape tomatoes and scallions until tender but still firm. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- To make dressing: combine the vegan mayo, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and dill in a small bowl. Set aside.
- When the veggies are cool enough to handle, slice the zucchini and asparagus spears into bite size pieces. Slice two of the scallions.
- Add the zucchini, asparagus, sliced scallions, and grilled grape tomatoes to the cooked pasta.
- Add the chopped fresh herbs and then the dressing. Gently toss.
- Slice yellow tomato into wedges and add to the pasta, along with the grilled scallions.
3. Zucchini Garlic and Lemon Spaghetti
(Recipe from Oprah.com)
- 1/2 pound dried gluten-free spaghetti
- 2 to 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 long red Thai chili, thinly sliced, seeds and membrane removed
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2 medium zucchini
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Baby arugula leaves, optional
- Using a mandolin, knife or peeler, slice the zucchini into long, thin matchsticks.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta and mix with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan. Add chili, garlic and lemon zest and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the zucchini and saute until they just become tender.
- Add spaghetti and mix to coat the zucchini mixture.
- Season with sea salt, black pepper and fresh lemon juice, to taste.
- Serve garnished with baby arugula leaves, if desired.
4. Slow Cooker Baked Beans
(Recipe from Simply Gluten-Free)
- 1 packet Hurst Family Harvest Tri-Bean Soup Mix
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- The night prior, combine the beans from the bean mix (reserving the flavor packet for later) and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Pour the beans and the cooking liquid into a bowl, let cool and refrigerate overnight (8 -12 hours).
- The morning of, drain off all but 1 cup of the liquid. Place the beans and liquid into a slow cooker with the flavor packet and the rest of the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 10 – 12 hours, or longer if you prefer softer beans.
- To thicken the liquid, turn the slow cooker to high for the last hour of cooking.
5. Carrot, Cabbage and Apple Slaw with Cumin Lime Dressing
(Recipe from Real Simple)
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 cups shredded carrots
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely minced shallot
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp minced fresh mint or parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp salted sunflower seed kernels
- Core and slice the apple.
- Toss apple slices in 1 tablespoon of the lime juice.
- Place carrots and cabbage in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Whisk together oil, shallot, the remaining lime juice, salt, pepper and cumin.
- Toss carrots, cabbage, and apple in a large bowl with dressing, mint, and sunflower seeds.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
6. Grilled Guacamole
(Recipe from Domestic Fits)
- 4 ripe avocados
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Cut the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Brush the cut side of the onion half and the avocados with olive oil.
- Put the onion and avocados on the grill, cut sides down, and close the lid. Grill until dark grill marks appear, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop the avocado into a bowl. Add the chopped onions and remaining ingredients. Mash until creamy.
7. Roasted Tomato Gazpacho With Yellow Plum Salsa
(Recipe from The Tomato Tart)
Roasted Tomato Gazpacho Ingredients:
- 2.5 lbs mixed heirloom tomatoes, slow roasted in the oven
- 1 cucumber, seeded and sliced into 2 inch thick rounds
- ¼ inch slice of red onion
- ½ to 1 jalapeño, seeds removed
- ¼ cup olive oil 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp hot smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Yellow Plum Salsa Ingredients:
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 yellow tomatoes seeded and chopped into 1/8 inch pieces
- 2 yellow plums chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp very finely chopped jalapeño
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- sea salt and finely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
Roasted Tomato Gazpacho Instructions:
- Allow your roasted tomatoes to cool to room temperature. Add them to a blender with cucumber slices, onion, and jalapeño. Blend until well combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Chill the soup while you make the salsa.
Yellow Plum Salsa Instructions:
- Add cucumber, tomatoes, plums, onions, and jalapeño to a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix olive oil, vinegar, sea salt, and pepper and combine well.
- Pour olive oil mixture over cucumber mixture and toss to coat.
- Add parsley and then place in the fridge for 30 or so minutes to let the flavors combine.
- Serve the gazpacho cold with a heap of yellow plum salsa on top.
8. Grilled Potato Rosemary Skewers
(Recipe from Food Done Light)
- 28 oz baby red potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- a tsp fresh ground pepper
- 4 to 5 strong rosemary sprigs or wooden skewers
- Place potatoes in a large bowl with a splash of water. Cover with plastic wrap and punch a few holes in the top.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes to continue cooking and carefully remove the plastic wrap. Place potatoes on paper towels to dry completely.
- Once potatoes are dry, place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- If using rosemary sprigs, pull off most of the leaves. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 15 minutes.
- Thread potatoes onto the skewers.
- Heat grill to high and oil well.
- Place the potato skewers on the grill. Cook for 10 minutes, turning frequently.
9. Sweet Potato Salad
(Recipe from Almost Supermom)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine potatoes, salt and oil in a large bowl and stir until potatoes are well coated.
- Roast in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- Return potatoes to bowl and stir in vinegar. Place in refrigerator until chilled, about 60 minutes.
- Add eggs, onions and peppers to the potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayo and yogurt.
- Pour over the potatoes and stir to combine all ingredients. Serve cold.
10. Quinoa Vegetable Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing
(Recipe from The Garden Grazer)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 4 green onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh basil
- Rinse quinoa, and cook according to package directions and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and basil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Slice green onions, dice roma tomatoes and bell pepper.
- When quinoa is ready, mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and mix well to combine. Can be served warm, room temperature, or cold.
– See more at: http://www.fitnessrepublic.com/nutrition/healthy_eating/gluten-free-side-dish-recipes.html#sthash.M4bFjCrq.dpuf
A quick note from our founders
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook…