When I was first starting research about golden milk I was afraid that the recipe was going to be about dairy—nope, no dairy here! Read on, vegan and earth-conscious friends.
What On Earth Is Golden Milk?
Golden milk is actually a combination of herbs and spices with coconut milk and coconut oil warmed up to create a delicious and health-packed drink that you can have any time of day, although popular times to consume this beverage are upon first waking and before bed.
Golden milk is actually called Haldi ka doodh, which translates to turmeric milk. Believed to have originated in India as part of the Ayurvedic system of healing, golden milk was taken as for anti-inflammatory, detoxification, healthy blood sugar, and many, many more health benefits (as we will soon see!)
Golden milk is rather magical and can help your liver detoxify itself before going to sleep. This creamy drink has so many different health benefits! Let’s learn some more about golden milk and what it can do for you.
What’s in Golden Milk?
Golden milk is generally a combination of turmeric powder, coconut oil, coconut milk, black pepper, and ginger root. You could also add honey if you like the taste. The most notable and powerful spice turmeric is responsible for the wide variety of health benefits that golden milk offers to its drinkers. However, the coconut, black pepper, and ginger root all have health benefits to offer as well.
Golden milk is traditionally made as milk and heated up, but you could also make teas, pastes, and other variations of this popular drink in order to add to meals or simply to store until you want to drink it again! Let’s look at some of the great health benefits of golden milk and what ailments its been used to help in medicine.
Are you ready to discover the amazing benefits of golden milk? We’ll look through each ingredient to see what they have to offer by drinking this succulent beverage.
- Turmeric. Where to start? Turmeric has been used to treat liver disease in ancient medicine as well as respiratory illnesses, gastrointestinal problems, muscle and joint pain (including arthritis), skin disorders, and to promote healing all over. Anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial, this spice is highly beneficial for chronic disease and autoimmune disease where inflammation is prominent (1,2).
Preliminary research also shows that turmeric can improve and stabilize blood sugar (3), detoxify the liver from environmental toxins by neutralizing free radicals (4), treating food allergies and intolerances (5), preventing degenerative cognitive illnesses such as Alzheimer’s and dementia (6), and even treating cancer and depression (7, 8). Do you need any more reasons to start cooking with this spice?
- Coconut oil. Coconut oil has a ton of health benefits, including promoting a healthy weight, healthy heart, healthy immune system, digestion, and may help prevent liver and kidney disease. It’s also an effective wound healer, moisturizer, and overall beauty BFF! (9)
- Coconut milk. Magnesium, vitamin B, electrolytes, a source of fatty acids that can combat weight gain, helps stabilize blood sugar, and promote joint health. Yes, please! (10, 11, 12)
- Black pepper. Helps ease cold symptoms, fights anemia, aids digestion, and combats free radicals. Black pepper will also help your body to absorb the turmeric! (13, 14)
- Ginger. Helps digestion combats nausea, and helps ease cold symptoms. Ginger may even help muscle pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties, help with blood sugar, and ease the menstrual pain in addition to other types of pain. (15, 16)
- Honey. Promotes healing due to its antibacterial properties, cold relief can aid with sleep and relaxation, and might even be used to treat allergies! (17, 18)
How to Make It
Making golden milk is easy and only requires the ingredients listed above! You could also use other types of milk in place of the coconut milk, but I wouldn’t recommend using dairy. Besides not wanting to support the dairy industry, it’s also important to note that dairy is one of the most common food intolerances and can be responsible for a wide range of health problems including irritable bowel syndrome, eczema, acne, or you could have an allergic reaction to dairy, which could include hives and breathing problems.
Well. Now that we’ve covered that!
Golden Milk Recipe:
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- A small piece (about a quarter to a half-inch wide) of a fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- Pinch of black pepper
- Half a teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
All you need to do is blend the ingredients, put in a saucepan to heat up for about five minutes (no boiling!) and then drink it. Hurrah!
Give golden milk a try either upon waking or before going to bed to help your body detoxify, promote healing, decrease inflammation, and enjoy many other health benefits of this delicious milk!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes