This guest post was written by Alina Islam, a wonderful Certified Nutritional Practitioner from Toronto, Canada. She is a writer, speaker and nutritional consultant. You can read more of her work at AlinaIslam.com or follow her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
There’s usually that five-minute time period before a meeting starts at work, where people are gathered around the table and shuffling papers, connecting laptops, grabbing their coffees, and making awkward small talk. If you want to avoid the awkward small talk, make this smoothie. No, I’m not kidding. I will save you from sharing your opinion on the weather, commuting, Canadian politics or sports that you only sort of watch to be able to make small talk in the first place.
How will making a smoothie achieve this, you ask? Imagine you make the smoothie recipe in this post (which is bright green by the way) and plunk it down in front of you in your shaker cup, mason jar or glass bottle in a meeting. Every time I did this back when I was in advertising, either the person sitting next to me was inspired and asked questions i.e. “That looks amazing! Wow what did you put it it?” or was grossed out, “Ew, why are you drinking that?” Either way, weather conversation was avoided and I got to educate others about the awesomeness of a green smoothie.
Here’s what you need to know:
- A green smoothie is MOSTLY veggies + fruit just for sweetness
- A smoothie has fibre, whereas a juice doesn’t. Fibre is good to have in your smoothie to slow down the release of natural sugar into your bloodstream, give you a more constant supply of energy, make you feel full, and help with digestion.
- If and when you juice, only drink a veggie juice. A tiny amount of fruit won’t hurt in there, but a pure fruit juice is just sugar water, and you might as well go have a candy bar.
- When you drink a smoothie, it’s easier to absorb the nutrients into your bloodstream. So you get a hit of vitamins & minerals much more efficiently which = ENERGY
- You’re drinking chlorophyll, or “plant blood”, which is the green pigment in vegetables. It promotes cleansing, suppresses appetite, encourages healing and glowing skin, just to name a few benefits.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Green Hero Smoothie
- 1 cup almond milk, cold
- 1/2 pear
- 1 cup kale
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 baby cucumber
- 1 sprig of mint
- Blend almond milk and cucumber together in a high-speed blender
- Add in the remaining ingredients. Blend at high speed until completely smooth. (I used a Blendtec and put it on the “whole juice” setting).
- Add less or more of each vegetable if required, to your taste.
This article was republished with permission from alinaislam.com.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!