This recipe for zucchini quinoa burgers will suppress any meat cravings you may be experiencing. The zucchini and quinoa are an amazing combination that when added together really keep you satisfied, as well as maximize health benefits.
You are also ditching that store bought meat that is filled with antibiotics and other cancer-causing ingredients that meat contain. The hemp seeds and sunflower seeds give it a great crunch! The chickpeas mix fantastically into the meatless mixture and keep you full and satisfied. So invite all your friends over so they can experience this delicious recipe!
Quinoa: The super-grain
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Unlike most grains, quinoa is considered a total protein source. Quinoa has been proven to lower the inflammation in fat in many studies preformed. In addition to these two qualities, quinoa is high in fiber and has been shown to regulate blood sugar, which can help prevent and aid those who are battling type 2 diabetes. Furthermore, quinoa can help lower cholesterol and keeps HDL cholesterol, which is considered to be the “good” fat our bodies need.
Why should we be eating less meat?
The World Health Organization has shown that those who avoid meat entirely are less likely to develop cancer. Meat completely lacks in fiber, an essential nutrient that protects our bodies from toxins.
To add to this, when meat is cooked in high temperatures, harmful chemicals like heterocyclic amines (HCAs) are formed, which have been found to increase our risk of cancer. The fat found in meat also increases the hormones in our body, which is directly linked to hormone-related cancers such as prostate and breast.
This recipe allows you and your family to enjoy a classic American meal without the meat. You can enjoy them on a gluten-free bun or completely on their own.
This recipe with permission from our friends at thevegetarianginger.com.
Zucchini Quinoa Burgers
Serves: 6 burgers
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 (540mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp. old-fashioned mustard
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 6 gluten-free burger buns + your favourite toppings
- Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Saute onion and garlic until softened. Add grated zucchini, and continue to cook mixture until well combined and some liquids have been evaporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Grind hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, salt and pepper in a food processor. Add quinoa, chickpeas, mustard, lemon, dill, thyme, turmeric and paprika. Pulse to combine, leaving some chunks for texture.
- Transfer the processed mixture to a bowl. Add the zucchini mixture and mix with hands until everything is really well mixed together. Season one final time with salt and pepper to taste. Shape mixture into 6 patties and place in the fridge for 30 minutes, separated by wax paper to ensure nothing sticks.
- Heat remaining oil on medium heat on a skillet. Add patties one or two at a time, cooking with a lid over the skillet. Cook 5-7 minutes on heat side until golden brown and firm. Place directly on bun, throw on your favourite condiments, and dig in.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!