This recipe for zucchini quinoa burgers will suppress any meat cravings you may be experiencing. The zucchini and quinoa are an amazing combination that when added together really keep you satisfied, as well as maximize health benefits.
You are also ditching that store bought meat that is filled with antibiotics and other cancer-causing ingredients that meat contain. The hemp seeds and sunflower seeds give it a great crunch! The chickpeas mix fantastically into the meatless mixture and keep you full and satisfied. So invite all your friends over so they can experience this delicious recipe!
Quinoa: The super-grain
Unlike most grains, quinoa is considered a total protein source. Quinoa has been proven to lower the inflammation in fat in many studies preformed. In addition to these two qualities, quinoa is high in fiber and has been shown to regulate blood sugar, which can help prevent and aid those who are battling type 2 diabetes. Furthermore, quinoa can help lower cholesterol and keeps HDL cholesterol, which is considered to be the “good” fat our bodies need.
Why should we be eating less meat?
The World Health Organization has shown that those who avoid meat entirely are less likely to develop cancer. Meat completely lacks in fiber, an essential nutrient that protects our bodies from toxins.
To add to this, when meat is cooked in high temperatures, harmful chemicals like heterocyclic amines (HCAs) are formed, which have been found to increase our risk of cancer. The fat found in meat also increases the hormones in our body, which is directly linked to hormone-related cancers such as prostate and breast.
Get your Free copy of The Complete Ketogenic Diet For Beginners
Learn how you can lose weight and keep it off while eating your favourite foods like Pizza & Mac and cheese!
This recipe allows you and your family to enjoy a classic American meal without the meat. You can enjoy them on a gluten-free bun or completely on their own.
This recipe with permission from our friends at thevegetarianginger.com.
Zucchini Quinoa Burgers
Serves: 6 burgers
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, grated
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 (540mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tbsp. old-fashioned mustard
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 6 gluten-free burger buns + your favourite toppings
- Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Saute onion and garlic until softened. Add grated zucchini, and continue to cook mixture until well combined and some liquids have been evaporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Grind hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, salt and pepper in a food processor. Add quinoa, chickpeas, mustard, lemon, dill, thyme, turmeric and paprika. Pulse to combine, leaving some chunks for texture.
- Transfer the processed mixture to a bowl. Add the zucchini mixture and mix with hands until everything is really well mixed together. Season one final time with salt and pepper to taste. Shape mixture into 6 patties and place in the fridge for 30 minutes, separated by wax paper to ensure nothing sticks.
- Heat remaining oil on medium heat on a skillet. Add patties one or two at a time, cooking with a lid over the skillet. Cook 5-7 minutes on heat side until golden brown and firm. Place directly on bun, throw on your favourite condiments, and dig in.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!