It was about 8 months ago when I first saw someone do it. I stared at them in awe as they looked so peaceful when they were humming random sounds. I decided to give it a whirl when I was home alone and I couldn’t help but feel a little uplifted after a minute or so. I just FELT more relaxed…calm…peaceful if you will.
Now just like anything, if an action creates a positive outcome you are going to want to do it more. It started to become more of a routine for me. If I was feeling overwhelmed at home or work, my body just naturally sent me signals telling me it was time to hum. Pretty soon my shoulders weren’t as tense, my jaw would unclench, and other muscle groups (especially in the face) would relax.
I’ve come to realize that it doesn’t matter what note or how many notes you can hum in one breath – it all works the same! You can even hum one note with your eyes closed: a close resemblance to meditation.
So here they are…the therapeutic benefits of humming include:
1. Clears out the cobwebs from every corner of your brain.
2. Slows your breathing and thoughts down.
3. Activates the parasympathetic nervous system (triggers the relaxation response in your body).
4. Feel more peaceful on the inside. Humming helps to clear any restless or agitated energy you may be feeling on the inside.
5. Refreshes your thinking. Dissolves worry, racing thoughts, and anxiousness. When you are humming there is no room for worry or fear.
6. Helps to release stress and worry being held in and around your stomach area. Your stomach will start to un-clench, release and soften.
Are you bold enough to take the plunge, dust off the ol’ vocal chords and give it a whirl…or hum?
This article was republished with permission from mindbodygreen.com.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!