Have you heard of moringa? This plant is causing quite the stir in the health community. Also known as drumstick or Malunggay, moringa trees are often used in South Indian delicacies for their unique taste and texture.
The Moringa tree can be found in native parts of Africa and Asia and every part of this amazing tree such as the pods, fruits, flowers, roots and bark are edible and rich in nutrients. There is no need to let any of it go to waste! (2)
So, What Makes Moringa So Marvelous?
Let’s compare moringa to some common healthy foods and products we consume to see what the big deal is regarding this plant:
- Moringa seeds produce edible oil known as Ben oil that is similar to olive oil nutrition wise. This oil is rich in antioxidants and, unlike many other oils, has an indefinite shelf life! (2)
- Spinach has long been praised as a rich source of iron, but moringa leaves have three times more iron than spinach! (2)
- There’s nothing like a cup of coffee to wake you up in the morning…at leasts that’s what you think until you’ve had moringa tea! The moringa leaves have properties that boost energy level naturally and keep them boosted for a long period of time.
- You’ve heard carrots are good for your eyes because of their high vitamin A content, but moringa has four times the vitamin A of carrots per gram! Moringa is also a great source of beta-carotene. (2)
- Are you one of those people who take multivitamins? Moringa supplements, which are made from moringa leaves and pods, are said to be better than most vitamins and supplements on the market because they don’t use synthetic ingredients.
- Moringa has double the protein found in yogurt per gram.
- Moringa has three times the potassium found in bananas per gram.
- Moringa has a whopping seven times more vitamin C per gram of oranges!
- Moringa is great for your bones too. It has four times the calcium of milk per gram.(1)
The Anti-Cancer Effects of Moringa Revealed By Researchers
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Moringa also contains numerous powerful anti-cancer compounds such as kaempferol, rhamnetin and isoquercetin. Now, researchers are discovering that Moringa has anti-cancer potential with positive results so far against ovarian cancer, liver cancer, lung cancer, and melanoma in lab tests (6). A list of these studies can be seen on Pubmed here. (3)
Please note that it’s a long way before Moringa can be claimed as a cancer cure, but this kind of study is important because it indicates the potential for a starting point for a medicine of the future. It’s especially interesting because Moringa is already in common use – not only in herbalism but in a wide variety of other applications.
Here Are Some Additional Benefits of The Moringa Plant
- Can be used to purify water. (5)
- Contains nine essential amino acids, 27 vitamins, 46 antioxidants, and many minerals.
- Can improve human lactation.
- Can treat a variety of chronic illnesses, bites, wounds, and other ailments.
- Is a powerful skin cleanser, and ideal for maintaining healthy, vibrant hair
- Has no side effects. The moringa plant is safe for both children and adults.
OK…So Now That You’re Sold On The Idea, Where Can You Find This Plant?
You can get moringa products from a company called Kuli Kuli Foods; this company is a fair trade, small-scale farming cooperative in Ghana and Haiti.
You can also find moringa plant products, some of which are excellent in soup and curry dishes, at a South-Indian grocery store or a grocery store that caters to South-Indian cuisine. Of course, once more people start purchasing it, this plant should soon start popping up everywhere!
(1) Tree hugger. Moringa is the newest superfood you should know about http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/moringa-newest-superfood-you-should-know-about.html Published:July 23, 2015. Accessed: January 18, 2017.
(2) Fit life. The Green Herb That Flushes Toxins and Fights Cancer With NO Known Side Effects http://fitlife.tv/30-amazing-benefits-of-moringa-plant-for-skin-hair-and-health/ Published: October 27, 2014. Accessed: January 18, 2017.
(3) Herbs info. Moringa Oleifera Kills 97% of Pancreatic Cancer Cells in Vitro http://www.herbs-info.com/blog/moringa-oleifera-kills-97-percent-of-pancreatic-cancer-cells-in-vitro/ Accessed: January 18, 2017.
(4) NCBI. Health benefits of Moringa oleifera. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25374169 Published: 2014. Accessed: January 18, 2017.
(5) NCBI. Moringa oleifera: a food plant with multiple medicinal uses https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17089328 Published: 2007. Accessed: January 18, 2017.
(6) NCBI. Moringa oleifera as an Anti-Cancer Agent against Breast and Colorectal Cancer Cell Lines. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26288313 Published: August 19, 2015. Accessed: January 18, 2017.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!