This is not your regular blueberry cheesecake recipe. This blueberry cheesecake is special because of one ingredient that many of us have overlooked or have never heard of before.
Maqui berries, also known as the Chilean wineberry and found in South America, have the look of a blueberry but are actually much different. Maqui berries are packed with a higher amount of antioxidants than blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries. By adding Maqui berries to this cheesecake recipe, we are given a dessert that can really boost our health.
Maqui Berries: The Fruit You Should be Eating
- Maqui berries are packed with antioxidants. They contain more than any other fruit.
- These antioxidants benefit our cardiovascular health. Studies on rats have shown that this berry is able to protect them against heart damage. Antioxidants also contribute to anti-aging, eye health, skin health, and immune health.
- Maqui berries have the ability to improve blood glucose levels having an “anti-diabetic effect.”
Layered on top of a delicious sugar-free crust, this Blueberry Maqui Cheesecake is the perfect guilt-free dessert.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at fitandnutritious.com.sg.
Blueberry Maqui Cheesecake with Candied Lemon
Serves: 1 cake
Prep time: 2+ hours
Our newest fat-burning dessert recipe book just released and we’ve reserved a free digital copy for you! Click the button and simply let me know where you want us to email it and you’ll have it in your inbox today…Grab my free copy
Cook time: 20 – 15 minutes
For the Base
- 1 1/2 cup Medjool dates
- 1 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For the Filling
- 2 cups cashew nuts, soaked overnight or for a minimum of 2 hours
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maqui powder
For the Candied Lemon Zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups water
- First, mix all the base ingredients together in a food processor and blend until well incorporated, but leaving a texture to the mix. Spread the mixture in an 18cm (7 inch) round cake tin. (I use an expandable/retractable springform tin)
- In a pan, add the blueberries, maple syrup, coconut sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring and breaking apart the berries.
- Rinse the cashew nuts, then add them together with the berry mixture and maqui powder to a high powered blender (I use a Vitamix) and mix until creamy. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh.
- Spread the mixture over the base and put in the freezer.
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the zest and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and add to iced water. Rinse.
- In another saucepan, mix the sugar and 1 cup of water. Simmer until the sugar completely dissolves. Add the lemon zest and continue to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, drain the syrup and arrange the candied lemon zest on top of the cheesecake. Put the cheesecake back in the freezer and take out 1 hour before you are ready to serve.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes