This article is shared with permission from our friends at PaleoHacks.
For this plant-based recipe, zucchini noodles amp up fiber while also packing much more nutritional punch than traditional chow mein noodles. This quick and convenient meal is ready for the table in under 30 minutes, making it a go-to for busy days.
Start by lightly tenderizing carrots, celery, and cabbage in a large wok or skillet with toasted sesame oil. Toasted sesame oil adds a ton of flavor and aroma, making it terrific for stir-frying and as a sauce base. Once veggies start to tenderize, the rest of the sauce ingredients are added.
Coconut aminos are a Paleo staple and the perfect replacement for soy sauce, with far less sodium. Coconut sugar is added to the sauce for a touch of sweetness and to help thicken it up.
I like my zucchini noodles to stay a little crunchy, so I cook them just long enough to heat through. If you prefer a softer zoodle, cook them for additional 2-3 minutes. Finish with some fresh chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. This recipe also happens to be vegetarian, but feel free to add thin slices of beef or chicken for protein.
Light, Healthy Chow Mein Made with Zucchini Noodles
Recipe by: Jennafer Ashley
Takeout gets a Paleo spin with fresh zucchini noodles tossed in a sweet and tangy sauce with veggies.
Total Time: 25 Mins
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
For the Noodles:
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
For the Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- Chopped cilantro
- Sesame seeds
- Using a spiral slicer on 3mm blade, slice zucchini into noodles and place into a bowl.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery, cabbage and carrots. Cook 5 minutes.
- Whisk ingredients for sauce in a small bowl. Pour sauce into skillet and stir. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add scallions and zucchini noodles. Stir again. Cook 4-5 minutes longer. Finish with sesame seeds and cilantro.
Tip: For the heat lovers out there, spice this dish up with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or Thai chili peppers.
Check out some more zoodle recipes!
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)