Looking for an innovative, healthy snack that is delicious enough to serve as an appetizer for your dinner party? Two of my favorite food combinations are tuna and cucumber, they mix perfectly- the saltiness of the tuna and the cool crunch of cucumber. This simple, gluten free recipe combines these two great ingredients that not only taste delicious but have health benefits too!
According to the International Journal of Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Science, cucumber has a wide array of health benefits and is a great vegetable to include in your daily diet. Not only is it low in calories (only 15 per 100grams), it contains no cholesterol and zero trans fats! Cucumber can also help ail constipation and even colon cancer due to being a natural source high in dietary fiber.
Ever seen people with cucumber on their eyes and thought it was a myth? Well, laugh no more! Cucumber has anti -inflammatory responses and by putting slices on your eye bags, the swelling can reduce and you will have bright eyes in no time. Try these other cucumber recipes if you want to incorporate more cucumber into your daily diet.
Tuna is a great source of protein and essential oils that our bodies require to function fully. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is a product found abundantly in tuna, it helps improve and sustain brain function in people, reduce arthritis and battle depression. According to Mozaffarian et al, Eating tuna (buy it fresh or canned in brine for healthier results) is ‘associated with lower risk of IHD (ischemic heart disease) death’. So if heart disease runs in the family, give omega rich tuna a try!
Like the sound of the amazing health benefits those two ingredients offer? Look no further! Below is a delicious and nutritious gluten free recipe you can try at home.
- 1 Can of flaked tuna in brine- you could also buy fresh tuna, prepare it like this, slice thinly and insert into method instead of the canned product.
- 1 Small, organic onion chopped finely
- 1 Organic rib of celery chopped finely
- 1 Teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of homemade mayonnaise- a great, organic recipes found here
- 1/4 cup of coconut yogurt
- 1/4 cup paleo cream cheese- delicious recipe found here.
- 2-3 medium sized organic cucumbers peeled- however leave the peel on for many great health benefits mentioned above.
Optional Ingredients: salt and pepper, cayenne pepper and chopped chives, to taste
You can prepare this delicious recipe ahead of time and refrigerate, start by:
- Prepare the cucumber, cut into 2 inch wide chunks. Using a spoon remove seeds inside.
- In a large bowl combine tuna, onion, celery, lemon juice, home made mayonnaise, coconut yogurt, paleo cream cheese, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- In each cucumber segment spoon in a tablespoon of tuna mixture.
- Sprinkle filled cucumber pieces with delicious green chives and a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little warmth
Finally enjoy your delicious bite sized cucumber and tuna salads as a light and pallet cleansing starter or a super healthy lunch.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!