Going Paleo can be tough if you like sweets. Candy bars are high in sugar and low in nutrients. If you’ve got a craving for one, however, you may be tempted to cave.
Don’t do it just yet. Instead, try making one yourself with Paleo-approved ingredients. This Twix bar recipe uses a coconut flour shortbread, and has a creamy caramel sauce sandwiched between the cookie and chocolate. Just like the real thing. And it’s much better for you.
Wondering how this is possible? Try it yourself, and see. You’ll never go back the real thing again.
Paleo Twix Bar
Prep Time:45 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 T arrowroot
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 2/3 cup grass-fed butter, melted
- 2 T honey
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, and drained
- 1 t white vinegar
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 T grass-fed butter, melted
- Chocolate Sauce:
- 1/4 cup pitted dates, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, and drained
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 T cocoa powder
How To Make It:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Whisk the coconut flour and arrowroot with the salt in a large bowl. Whisk the butter with the honey and vanilla, and add it to the flour. Stir until fully mixed and you have a thick, wet dough.
3. Pat the dough into a square about 1/2 inch thick on the parchment. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until very light golden brown.
4. While the cookie is baking, make the caramel. Blend the dates, vinegar, coconut milk, vanilla, and butter until a thick paste.
5. When the cookie is done and cooled, spread the caramel on top in an even layer. Transfer the pan to the freezer to firm up.
6. To make the chocolate sauce, put the dates and coconut milk in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and simmer until thick and smooth. Stir in the cacao powder and stir until mixed in. Allow to cool completely.
7. Remove the cookie from the freezer, and cut into 1-2 inch bars. Cover each with the chocolate sauce and either serve immediately, or refrigerate until firm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
This article was republished with permission from blog.paleohacks.com.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.