We all have that first-aid kit sitting around the house that we take to go camping, hiking, or wherever else our summer vacations bring us.
This year, you need to add the Hippie Healer’s Salve into your first-aid kit to help kill bacteria and heal wounds on the go.
This folk medicine is made with a bunch of herbal remedies that you can grow yourself at home, making it so much more affordable and healthier than store-bought ointments.
Hippie Healer’s Salve
– 1 ¼ cup organic olive oil
– 1 tbsp each of dried:
- Plantain – cures poison ivy, eczema, psoriasis, insect bites, and bee stings.
- John’s wort – treats wounds, bruises, and sunburn.
- Olive leaf – Good for your skin and heals eczema.
- Calendula flowers – used to heal minor cuts, burns, inflammation, bruises, and scrapes.
- Goldenseal root – This antimicrobial is literally good for everything!
- Comfrey root and leaves – helps mend sprains, swelling, bruises, and burns.
- Pine resin – Seals wounds for a faster heal.
– 1 tbsp raw honey (a great antibacterial!)
– 2-4 tbsp beeswax
– 2 teaspoons essential oil (optional to your preference)
– ½ teaspoon vitamin E oil
1. Prepare oil infusion. This can be done in three ways, but to save time I’d use the Rosemary Gladstar’s quick extract instructions: “Place the herbs and the oil in a double boiler and bring to a low simmer. Slowly heat for 30 to 60 minutes, checking frequently to be sure the oil is not overheating.”
You could also use a cold infusion and steep for 4-6 weeks or a hot extract in a crockpot for 4-8 hours.
2. Once you’ve infused your herbs, you can strain out the oil using cheesecloth. Collect at least 1 cup of infused oil.
3. Melt beeswax in a saucepan over low heat with the herbal oil. Add more beeswax to preference – the more you use, the harder the salve will be.
4. Remove from heat once you’ve reached the desired consistency.
5. Allow to cool, using a wire whisk to speed up the cooling process.
6. Add raw honey, vitamin E oil, and essential oils. Whisk until creamy and smooth.
7. Put the ointment into a container. We suggest tin or glass jars – not plastic.
The salve will keep for 2-3 years in your first-aid kit, or in any other cool, dark place.
You can see the full original recipe at Frugally Sustainable.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)