With a heavenly taste bursting with cinnamon and spice, the real challenge is to try eat just one slice!
This carrot cake is the perfect healthy dessert or as a delicious snack to pair with coffee in the morning. With a dense texture and slightly nutty crunch, this version has a delicious taste that makes it stand apart from the rest. Its decadent frosting is made with hazelnut butter for a rich and creamy layer of natural sweetness – no refined sugars needed. To top it all off, carrots add a hint of cancer-fighting nutrients that you can mix with coconut and cinnamon for a healthy treat!
For the cake, begin by melting the coconut oil and butter in a small saucepan. Transfer the mixture to a medium mixing bowl and mix all the cake ingredients until fully combined. Pour the mixture into a prepared baking pan and spread in an even layer. Tip: You can also pour the mixture into a muffin pan for cupcakes! Then, set it in the oven to bake for 50 minutes or until a fork runs clean when inserted.
In the meantime, begin prepping the frosting by adding the pre-soaked cashews, hazelnut butter, and coconut sugar to the blender. Tip: If you don’t have time to pre-soak your cashews, you can soak them in boiling water for one hour and then drain the water. Blend the ingredients until you end up with a creamy mixture and set aside.
When the cake is ready, let it rest in the pan for 30 minutes before adding the frosting. You’ll need to make sure the cake is fully cooled so that the frosting doesn’t melt. When ready, slather the frosting on top and garnish with extra hazelnuts. Then, cut into slices and serve immediately!
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake with Decadent Hazelnut Frosting Recipe
Get your Free copy of The Complete Ketogenic Diet For Beginners
Learn how you can lose weight and keep it off while eating your favourite foods like Pizza & Mac and cheese!
Total Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Serves: 8-10 Slices
Recipe by: Sophie Viau
This carrot cake is the perfect healthy dessert or as a delicious snack to pair with coffee in the morning.
- Small saucepan
- Medium mixing bowl
- 9” x 5” Loaf pan
For the Cake:
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 pasture-raised eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the Hazelnut Frosting:
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup hazelnut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the coconut and butter mixture with eggs. Then, add the almond flour, coconut sugar, milk, spices, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the grated carrots to the dough mixture and mix well. Spread the mixture into an even layer in a rectangular cake pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until an inserted fork runs clean.
- When the cake is finished, let it cool for 30 minutes.
For the Frosting:
- Soak the cashews overnight or boil in water over a stovetop for at least an hour.
- In the blender, add the soaked cashews (without the water), the hazelnut butter and the coconut sugar. Mix well until you have a smooth frosting.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cooled cake. Garnish with chopped hazelnuts.
Shared with permission from our friends at PaleoHacks.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!