You may remember finding fruit roll ups in your lunchbox when you were a kid, or maybe you’ve passed them on the shelves in the supermarket. They definitely make an easy snack to give to your kids at school, but they aren’t exactly naturally made, or healthy…at all.
Instead of buying snacks that are laced with synthetic chemicals, try making this amazing fruit-leather recipe that are inspired by the look of fruit roll ups, but taste way better. They take awhile to bake, but they aren’t hard to prepare. They can be packed into lunchboxes for a healthy snack, and can go several hours without being refrigerated.
If your kids are picky eaters than you can leave the beets out, but they add a nice firm texture to the leather, and are worth keeping in. They also add an intense bright color to the snack, as well as some of the nutritious benefits that beets contain, like potassium and manganese. Beets are also great for detoxing the body, and fighting inflammation, and it can be hard to get kids to eat them otherwise. Sometimes you have to get a little sneaky with health food.
These sweet, healthy treats can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, and in the freezer for two months. But we can almost guarantee that they won’t last that long.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy.
Homemade Strawberry and Beet Fruit-Roll Up Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 medium beets, peeled and steamed until soft (optional, sub ½ cup extra strawberries if you don’t use)
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries (defrost if using frozen)
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup (optional) or ½ cup pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon, lime or orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (or use a dehydrator)
- Puree the cooked beets (cooled), strawberries, honey/maple syrup/dates, and citrus juice in a blender until completely smooth. If using frozen defrosted berries, the liquid will be thinner. If using fresh berries, you may have to add a couple teaspoons of water to get the mixture smooth enough to spread. The mixture should be pourable but not thin enough to run off the baking sheet.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats(safe at low temperatures).
- Pour/spread the mixture evenly onto the two lined baking sheets.
- Place in oven and cook until firm and no longer sticky to the touch (3-4 hours in most ovens).
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut into strips and roll up with parchment paper. Store in an air-tight container until ready to eat.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container for up to a week (fridge) or two months (freezer).
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!