I’m not questioning your hygiene by writing a post about deodorant. I’m sure you smell lovely! But do you know what isn’t lovely? Endocrine disruptors, potential carcinogens, and a horde of other toxins; many of which are unlisted and hidden behind the “fragrance” ingredient on the label. While there are plenty of conventional personal-care products with man-made chemicals that I could pick on – conventional antiperspirants and deodorants are one of the worst.
What’s the big deal around using a clean deodorant or antiperspirant? Consider this. Your lymphatic system is your bodies pathway for drainage, it plays an important role in your immunity and also in natural detoxification. In our body, we have about 600 lymph nodes, and of that; 200 are found in the neck and about 50 in the armpits. So when we plug our sweat glands with chemicals and spray poisonous perfume on our neck – what happens? We may be blocking our glands from functioning properly!
So then what? A blockage of any kind is no bueno. Toxins that can’t be excreted through a detoxification pathway need to find a new home, quick! Do you want to guess what’s rather close to your armpits and abundant in natural fat cells (a toxins favourite hangout)? BOOBIES!
Is There a Link Between Antiperspirants and Cancer?
Those unstable toxins are putting down the welcome mat for their new home in your bosom, and they’re ready to invite in whatever should be exiting out the pits and other pores or elimination routes of the body.
So with that, is there a definite link between antiperspirants and the big C word? While our studies are still ‘inconclusive’, how does this make you feel? What do you think?
Deep-down many of us already know or at least have heard the connection between antiperspirants and the big C. My question to you is, what have you done about it?
Did you find a natural product that works for you? Or are you a natural deodorant basher – since (let’s be real) so many of the natural ones have the kind of results that last about 5-minutes.
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
I have a solution. Let’s make our own deodorant cream! It doesn’t get much cleaner than this. This recipe works so well, it has been my go-to for the past 5-years and I have a constant order request from family and friends. Not only does it work really, really well. But you will actually save money in the long run. Not that you need to achieve crunchy granola status, but this recipe is a lot better for both you and also the environment.
It’s time to detox your personal care routine, and this is one of the best places to start.
Deodorant Cream Recipe
Fills a 125 ml mason jar
- 3 tablespoons organic extra-virgin coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons aluminum-free baking soda
- 2 tablespoons pure shea butter
- 1 tablespoon food-grade diatomaceous earth (see all the uses for diatomaceous earth) or use
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder/starch
10 drops pure essential oil*
- Create a double boiler by filling a medium pot halfway with water and placing a glass bowl which fits snug on top.
- Bring water to a steady simmer then add in the shea butter and coconut oil to the bowl to melt
- Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the baking soda, diatomaceous earth and essential oil until evenly combined and emulsified
- Pour into your small 125 ml mason jar and allow to solidify at room temperature (sometimes this takes a while depending on the temperature of your home, I always stir a few times throughout the solidifying process or I stick it in the fridge)
-For essential oils: try sweet orange, lavender or sandalwood (I use therapeutic grade Aromatherapist brand)
-Save time in the future and make a larger batch now (you’ll thank me) one jar lasts at least 3-months
-Baking soda can be irritating for some. If you’re prone to sensitive skin, use a little less of the soda and be sure to include the diatomaceous earth, and a tad extra.
How to Use
- Apply a pea sized amount under each arm and go about your day! A little goes a long way!
- Do yourself a favour and do not apply after shaving your pits! It will burn, burn, burn. Wait at least 15-minutes before applying.
- Keep it out of the heat/sunlight or it will melt.
Shared with permission from our friends at Holisticole.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!