Do you consider yourself a green thumb? Or maybe you’re the type who can’t keep a plant alive for more than a day. The good news is that no matter your gardening expertise, you can grow your own food indoors easily thanks to IKEA!
Using a simple and affordable hydroponic garden called the Krydda/Växer, you can produce the plants you want indoors. There’s no need for soil, sunlight or anything outdoors, so looks like gardening might become an easy hobby after all.
What is Hydroponics
Hydroponics is the process of growing plants without soil. Instead, it uses sand, gravel or another liquid suspended over a vat of water. The water is distributed evenly with nutrients, so the plants will always get the right amount. With there being no soil, you no longer have to worry about making enough space either.
Benefits of indoor hydroponics
- Creates larger and more uniform plants
- Less over/under watering
- Eliminates root restriction like soil
- Roots don’t search for nutrients like in soil, the water provides it
- Better aeration
- Easier harvesting
- No weeds
- Eliminates pests/diseases
- Controlled weather
IKEA Indoor Gardening Solution
Although hydroponics is not a new concept, IKEA hopes that their new product can get the masses involved. Named the Krydda/Växer, Krydda is the cultivation unit and Växer is the insert set for the pots.
You can buy them separate or in a kit. The kit provides you with everything you need such as; seeds, absorbent foam plugs for holding the seeds, LED solar light, pumice stones and the pots/trays to hold them.
How to Make Your Own IKEA Indoor Garden
- Place the foam plugs in a tray with water
- Plant seeds inside
- Place them in sunlight until they turn to seedlings
- Replant the seedlings into the pots with water-absorbing pumice stones
- Place pots into the Växer and then place that into the Krydda
- Fill with water
- Leave under the solar light
- Check up on them occasionally and replace any used water
The Krydda/Växer was launched in April 2016, but has yet to be released in North America. A release is planned for 2017 however.
It’s clear that IKEA is shifting towards lifestyle sustainability rather than just home furnishings, so let’s hope this catches on. Now you can grow your own fresh produce at home affordably and easily, so give it a try yourself and you might even enjoy it!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes