As a proud Italian, I am devoted to my food. I often take my nonna’s authentic recipes and modify them, making them gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. It is very possible to enjoy the beautiful flavours of foods in a healthy way and still have la dolce vita!
Pizza has always been one of my favourite foods, not only for its crispy crust, delicious tomato sauce, gooey “cheese” (I have this is quotation marks because I use a dairy-free form) but its the perfect shareable meal bringing people together. In fact, my husband and I love this aspect of pizza so much that we built a pizza oven in our backyard and enjoy lighting it up and popping in pizza’s for our family and friends.
Every week we have a pizza night and I try and switch up the ingredients so that it is different each week. This kale and spinach combination is one of my favourites! It is gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free making it super healthy not to mention easy and quick to make and absolutely delicious! I really enjoy the simplicity of a Margherita pizza and I find the flavours pair very well with this Kale and spinach crust. I replace the traditional mozzarella with dollops of cashew cream cheese (garlic and herb by Enjoy Yoso is my favourite), then I add fresh tomato sauce and basil. Perfecto!
Kale, often referred to as a nutritional powerhouse, is a “beefier” type of vegetable, containing high amounts of fibre, sulphur and powerful antioxidants. Spinach is high in niacin and zinc as well as fibre. You will find these complimentary vegetables paired together quite frequently in many vegan and vegetarian dishes making these two a powerful food combo!
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
3 1/2 cups kale (trimmed and chopped)
1 cup spinach (chopped)
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Chop kale and spinach and place in a medium size pan with water until wilted (about 2-3 minutes).
- Place wilted kale, spinach, nutritional yeast, egg, salt and pepper into a high speed blender or food processor. Process until chopped and combined.
- Transfer to a lined baking sheet and form a large circle. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Place a few dollops of tomato sauce onto the crust and top with dollops of cashew cream cheese
- Place back into the oven on broil (high) for 5 minutes until cream cheese is melted
- Remove from the oven and allow pizza to cool slightly
- Top with basil and serve!
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!