Having kidney stones is not a pleasant experience. And unfortunately, if you’ve had them in the past you’re more likely to develop them again (1). Luckily, there are a number of natural remedies you can use to lessen your chance of developing kidney stones. Here’s how you can prevent kidney stones and reduce your risk of getting them in the future.
What Are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are small, pebble-like mineral materials which form in the urinary tract or kidney (2,4). Kidney stones can grow very large while maintaining their sharp structure, making them extremely painful to pass (3). Some common symptoms of kidney stones include:
- Severe groin pain (3)
- Blood in your urine (3)
- Pus in your urine (3)
- A reduced amount of urine (3)
- A burning sensation when urinating (3)
- The persistent urge to urinate (3)
- Kidney Stone Causes
It is pretty common to form kidney stones, and 1 in every 20 people will develop kidney stones at some point in their life (2).
There isn’t one thing in particular that leads to the formation of kidney stones, there are actually a couple of causes of kidney stones. A lack of water in the body is considered to be the leading cause of kidney stones (3). This is because there’s not enough water to dilute your urine, which creates an excessively acidic environment that’s ideal for kidney stone formation (3).
Kidney stones can also form when there is an excess of certain stone-forming minerals in your urine, particularly calcium oxalate (2,4). Having conditions such as Crohn’s disease, urinary tract infections, or Dent’s disease increases your risk for developing kidney stones (3).
10 Natural Kidney Stone Treatment Options
If you’re trying to prevent or treat kidney stones, water is the easiest solution. Drink at least the recommended eight glasses of water a day to ease the passage of kidney stones and slow their growth (4).
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an ingredient that has a multitude of health benefits, including preventing kidney stones. Apple cider vinegar alkalizes your blood and urine while also increasing stomach acids to prevent new kidney stones from forming (6). Put a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in your water and drink it on a regular basis to decrease your chance of developing future kidney stones (7).
Pomegranates have antioxidant and astringent properties that are believed to ease the passage of kidney stones and reduce the likelihood of them developing (4). Buy a whole pomegranate and eat the seeds to get the full benefits of this amazing superfood (4).
4. Lemon Water
A lot of people drink lemon water first thing in the morning for weight loss purposes, but this habit can also come in use when trying to pass kidney stones and slow their growth (4). Lemons contain a compound called citrate, which helps break down calcium deposits (4). Buy fresh lemons and squeeze them into a cup of water for the best results (4).
Basil contains a chemical known as acetic acid that has been known to help dissolve kidney stones (4). Basil also decreases uric acid levels, which makes kidney stones harder to form in the future (4). Use basil leaves to make a tea or purchase pure basil juice and drink it daily to reap the benefits of this healing herb (4, 5).
6. Celery Seeds
Celery contains powerful antioxidants that are known to increase urine production, which helps with the passage of kidney stones (4). Try to incorporate celery seeds into your meals regularly to decrease your chance of developing kidney stones (4).
7. Kidney Bean Broth
Kidney beans improve overall urinary health and help with dissolving and passing kidney stones as they contain a fair amount of magnesium (4,5). Remove kidney beans from their pods, boil them, strain them, and then consume the strained liquid (4).
8. Dandelion Root
This herb helps to dissolve kidney stones and prevent their formation (7). Dandelion works as a diuretic and increases urination, which allows for kidney stones to pass (7). Make some tea by adding two teaspoons of dandelion root to a cup of boiling water, steep for ten minutes, then sip away (7)!
9. Green Tea
Drinking green tea every day is a great way to prevent kidney stones from forming. Green tea contains phenol compounds that change the shape of mineral crystals and prevent them from clumping together (8).
10. Chanca Piedra
Chanca piedra is a little-known herb and one of the most effective natural remedies for kidney stones (9). It crushes kidney stones allowing for easier passage and prevents new kidney stones from developing (10). One German physician gave chanca piedra to over 100 patients with kidney stones and 94% of them got rid of their stones within two weeks (9). This treatment is commonly sold in tablet form (9).
Kidney stones are the last thing anyone wants to deal with; they’re painful and disruptive to everyday life. Luckily, there are plenty of preventative methods you can use to reduce your risk of developing these pesky little pebbles in the future. Read this next to learn more natural ways to avoid kidney stone pain.
(1) Kidney stones. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.your.md/condition/kidney-stones/
(2) Stoppler, M.C. (n.d.). Kidney Stones. Retrieved from https://www.medicinenet.com/kidney_stones/article.htm#kidney_stone_facts
(3) Crosta, P. (2017, November 29). How do you get kidney stones? Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/154193.php
(4) Huizen, J. (2017, September 16). Thirteen natural home remedies for kidney stones. Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319418.php
(5) Cronkleton, E. (2018, June 5). Home Remedies for Kidney Stones: What Works? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/kidney-health/home-remedies-for-kidney-stones
(6) Cronkleton, E. (2018, March 5). Can Apple Cider Vinegar Treat Kidney Stones? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/kidney-health/acv-for-kidney-stones
(7) 11 Natural Remedies for Kidney Stones (n.d.). Retrieved from http://healthremediesjournal.com/11-natural-remedies-for-kidney-stones/
(8) Greenwood, B. (2017, August 14). Can Green Tea Cause Kidney Stones? Retrieved from https://www.livestrong.com/article/523730-can-green-tea-cause-kidney-stones/
(9) Chew, C.M. (2017, August 14). Chanca Piera & Its Effect on the Kidneys. Retrieved from https://www.livestrong.com/article/318343-chanca-piedra-its-effect-on-the-kidneys/
(10) Olejarczyk, E. (n.d.). Remedies to Dissolve Kidney Stones…But Only One Works. Retrieved from https://www.kidneyatlas.org/dissolve-kidney-stones/
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes