You’re too hot.
No, your feet are too cold.
You can’t stop thinking about all the things you have to do tomorrow.
The things you forgot to do today – you should really write those down right now. No, you need to sleep. You’re not getting up.
If that sounds familiar to you, I’m sorry.
Night-time anxiety is probably the most common cause of insomnia. It’s hard to keep your mind quiet when you’re not thinking about anything. Thoughts will sail across your brain and you always attach to the negative ones.
There are lots of sources of night-time anxiety, but the thing to remember is that anxiety can be a cumulative feeling. So often it is a great many factors all built up together which cause your sleeplessness.
- Post Work Stress: Does work stress you out? Leaving tasks unfinished at work can cause stress that builds and comes to a head just before you drift off. Try not to start any tasks late in the day, even if that means leaving a few minutes early.
- Financial troubles: Are you thinking about money before bed? Did you pay that bill? How are you going to pay for the dentist? Money woes can really build up. The best way to alleviate them is talk through them with a partner or a friend who can help.
- Restless Leg Syndrome: This is a condition that builds throughout the evening and can cause pain, pinching, or discomfort. This can make it hard to sleep and that in turn causes anxiety.
- Late Night Associations: Do you fight in bed? Do you stress over being unable to sleep to the alarm? Bed is not for bad things. Subconsciously negative associations can build up until your bed can also become a place where you feel anxious. Clear the air, get up and take a walk. Don’t force yourself to stay in bed.
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
Lavender. Lavender is a light blue or soft violet with tiny flowers. These grow in tiny bunches. People use lavender to scent soaps, shampoos, and for scenting clothes. Lavender is a soft, kind, and floral scent. It’s been used as a cure for anxiety, depression, and fatigue.
Scientifically, inhalation of the scent has been shown to stimulate the limbic system, (which controls our moods) and prompts the release of happy, relaxing hormones: literally reducing stress. Further scientific evidence suggests that aromatherapy with lavender may slow the activity of the nervous system, improve sleep quality, promote relaxation, and lift mood in people suffering from sleep disorders.
Putting Lavender’s Potent Powers to Use
Have you ever had a heat bag? The ones full of beans or sand that you heat up when your muscles are sore? They can be rather expensive. So, in my perpetual efforts to save money, I have decided to make my own.
Things You’ll Need:
- Thread and Needle
- 1 ½ cup Filling (Rice, Buckwheat, Beans, feed corn, so long as it’s dry/dried)
- And old shirt/towel/bed sheets – anything that’s heat resistant (100% cotton)
- ¼ cup Dried Lavender
- 50 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Put your essential oil, dried flowers and filling in a sealable container. Anywhere between 25-50 drops of essential oils, let that sit and stew together for about a week in a cool, dark place. Shake it every other day
- Decide on the size you want your bag to be. I did a about hand wide and my forearm long. And then add an inch to the width and ends so you can sew it together.
- Make the bag. Line up the fabric, face to face, and sew along three sides, leaving a short side open. Turn it right side out.
- Fill the bag (use a funnel if you have one).
- Turn the end in toward the bag and the sew along that seam.
(if you have leftover filling, make little ones for hand warmers!)
When you use it, dampen (just lightly!) the outside and then heat in the microwave in 30-second increments. No more than two minutes. You don’t want to burn yourself.
Anything else you want to read about? Let us know in the comments!
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!