These foods could be sitting in your fridge right now, and you may not even know that they are three of the healthiest foods on the planet. Lemon, ginger, and garlic have been used for centuries as effective health remedies. But they aren’t always easy to incorporate into your every day if you aren’t the most skilled chef.
Not to worry! We have a way you can incorporate these ingredients into breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and combine them all into one super healthy immune boosting tea.
Benefits of Lemon
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, 1 cup of lemons provides you with about 23 micrograms of folate, while 1 cup of lemon juice contains about 24 micrograms. Lemon is also a source of vitamin C and is very low in calories.
This flavorful citrus fruit is known to help detoxify the digestive system and liver, as its acidic composition may help in maintaining a healthy weight. You’ll get a great dose of antioxidants, which can protect against cancer-linked free radicals (1).
Studies conducted at the American Urological Association have revealed the fact that lemonade or lemon juice can eliminate kidney stones by forming urinary citrate, which prevents the formation of crystals (2). For more on the benefits of lemon and why it’s so good for you, click here!
Lemon Breakfast Smoothie
Skip the caffeine! This the benefits of lemon in this fruity breakfast smoothie will provide a delicious boost of energy to start your day off right.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 pear
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 cup of ice
Just blend these up for a low-calorie, nutrient-rich breakfast on the go.
Benefits of Garlic
The benefits of garlic are plenty! It’s rich in manganese, vitamin B6, selenium, and fiber. These are powerful nutrients that can aid our nervous system by creating neurotransmitters, aid our digestion, and improve the strength of hair and nails.
Topically applied garlic gels could improve your hair loss problems because of its high levels of allicin, a sulfur compound which effectively treats hair loss (3).
A 12-week study found that people reaped the benefits of garlic after consuming a daily supplement which reduced the number of colds by 63% in comparison to a placebo (4). Human studies have also found garlic supplementation to significantly but safely lower blood pressure (5). For those with high cholesterol, garlic supplementation can reduce total and LDL cholesterol by 10-15% (6).
Roasted Garlic and Tomato Soup Lunch
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Enjoy the benefits of garlic in this delicious and soothing tomato soup.
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup of vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the top and butt from the ends of the garlic head.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil.
- Roast in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes.
- Combine in a blender and heat and transfer a stovetop with vegetable broth.
- Stir often.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Benefits of Ginger
Ginger is used for its anti-inflammatory and its ability to lower cholesterol and prevent blood clotting. Some studies show that the benefits of ginger can significantly control blood sugar in patients with Type II Diabetes (7). Ginger is also thought to prevent and reduce nausea, particularly for those experiencing morning sickness and patients undergoing chemotherapy (8).
One of the biggest benefits of ginger for patients with osteoarthritis, or for those suffering from muscle soreness that could be caused by inflammation, is its ability to reduce this inflammation. Some people even believe it is as effective as ibuprofen (9).
Interestingly, ginger has been shown to speed up emptying of the stomach in people with chronic indigestion (10). If you want to learn more about the amazing benefits of ginger, click here!
Ginger Salmon Dinner Recipe
Ginger can seem difficult to incorporate into a meal, but it’s really not that hard. You can reap the benefits of ginger with this ginger salmon recipe. It’s absolutely perfect for a light and healthy dinner. You can serve it with a variety of your favorite vegetables and sides, too.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 pound salmon fillets
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, honey, mustard, and ginger.
- Brush the fillets evenly with the olive oil mixture.
- Bake in a medium baking dish for 15 to 20 minutes, until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Ginger Garlic Lemon Immune Boosting Tea Recipe
Want to get all the benefits of these three magical ingredients? You can combine them into an immune boosting tea that’s suitable to drink any time of the day. This is especially good for those who have a cold or flu, have muscle soreness, or are trying to get rid of an infection.
Immune Boosting Tea Ingredients
- 5-8 cloves of garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/4 – 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger (start little if you are not used to taking raw ginger)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 lemon
How to Prepare the Immune Boosting Tea
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Add the garlic and ginger, letting it sit in boiled water for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the garlic and ginger out, leaving just the liquid.
- Add the juice from one lemon.
- Serve warm and drink throughout the day.
Now that you’re set for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, PLUS a healing immune boosting tea beverage, let us know what you think of these recipes. Enjoy!
Here are a few more great ways to include lemon, ginger, and garlic in your diet!
(1) Misharina, T. A., & Samusenko, A. L. (2008). Antioxidant properties of essential oils from lemon, grapefruit, coriander, clove, and their mixtures. Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, 44(4), 438-442. doi:10.1134/s0003683808040182
(2) Agarwal, M., Mavuduru, R., Singh, S., & Mandal, A. (2011). Preventive fluid and dietary therapy for urolithiasis: An appraisal of strength, controversies, and lacunae of current literature. Indian Journal of Urology, 27(3), 310. doi:10.4103/0970-1591.85423
(3) Hajheydari, Zohreh, Mojgan Jamshidi, Jafar Akbari, and Rezaali Mohammadpour. “Combination of Topical Garlic Gel and Betamethasone Valerate Cream in the Treatment of Localized Alopecia Areata: A Double-blind Randomized Controlled Study.” Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology 73.1 (2007): 29.
(5) Ried, K., & Fakler, P. (2014). Potential of garlic (Allium sativum) in lowering high blood pressure: Mechanisms of action and clinical relevance. Integrated Blood Pressure Control, 71. doi:10.2147/ibpc.s51434
(7) Islam, M. S., & Choi, H. (2008). Comparative Effects of Dietary Ginger (Zingiber officinale) and Garlic (Allium sativum) Investigated in a Type 2 Diabetes Model of Rats. Journal of Medicinal Food, 11(1), 152-159. doi:10.1089/jmf.2007.634
(8) Ernst, E., & Pittler, M. H. (2000). Efficacy of ginger for nausea and vomiting: A systematic review of randomized clinical trials. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 84(3), 367-371. doi:10.1093/oxfordjournals.bja.a013442
(9) Ahui, M. L., Champy, P., Ramadan, A., Van, L. P., Araujo, L., André, K. B., . . . Herbelin, A. (2008). Ginger prevents Th2-mediated immune responses in a mouse model of airway inflammation. International Immunopharmacology, 8(12), 1626-1632. doi:10.1016/j.intimp.2008.07.009
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!