When you’ve had a rough day, tactics like meditation or breathing exercises, yoga, affirmations, reading, cooking, drawing or taking a moment for yourself are great ways to help let go of tension, enjoy your personal space and time and decompress.
However, there is one thing that we absolutely love, love, love for when we’re tossing and turning with too many thoughts at night, and when our days seem long and heavy…and that’s the wonderful scent of lavender. C’mon, there’s a reason why they have lavender festivals friends.
We love all essential oils and diffuse them on a regular basis, but the one that stands out the most when we feel anxiety and stress is lavender! Not only can you diffuse the oil, you can grow it and use as potpourri, or, better yet, eat it! Lavender is becoming ever popular in the culinary world, not only is it unbelievably fragrant and adds a little floral pzazz to your cooking, but when you are cooking with it and smelling it, it is so incredibly relaxing. Cooking has never been more enjoyable than when you are sniffing away at some lavender buds while you’re at it (oh yes, and it makes everything prettier as well).
So, you may be thinking… lavender, for real? IN my food? Yes, definitely! We find that lavender works best with sweet flavoured foods and love adding it to our baking, salad dressings, as well, combined with a vanilla flavour, like white chocolate, vanilla ice cream or even yogurt. If you add a small amount of ground lavender (using a mortar and pestle works the best) you can hardly taste it, but if you really want some lavender oomph, throw in whole, dried petals.
You can sprinkle them on ice cream with some toasted coconut shreds, top your chocolate before it sets, or just sprinkle on the batter of your baked goods before you pop them into the oven. Did we forget to mention lavender icing? Delicious!
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
HEALING BENEFITS OF LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL
Smelling lavender is the best way to enjoy the calm that it brings, but not only does it work wonders on the nerves, it has other health benefits as well. Here are 3 additional health benefits lavender essential oil provides:
1) SKIN LESIONS & ACNE: Use lavender essential oil (along with a carrier oil if you’re sensitive) as spot treatment for acne and skin irritants. Lavender has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which can help calm redness and acne spots.
2) FOR BURNS AND WOUNDS: Use lavender mixed with aloe gel to assist in healing burns and wounds. Just as stated above, the antibacterial properties lavender contains can help speed up healing time.
3) FOR INSOMNIA: Use a diffuser or keep potpourri jar beside your bed at night to help sleep.
BRING LAVENDER BUDS TO YOUR KITCHEN DOMAIN
Today, we’re all about the culinary aspect of lavender, and have created a delicious vegan and gluten-free Anti-Anxiety Lemon Lavender Poppyseed Muffin! These muffins are amazing, they are low sugar, contain healthy fats from coconut flour and coconut oil, vitamin C from lemon zest and are gentle on your digestive system with no dairy or grains.
Check out the recipe for your next anti-anxiety treat!
Note: Lavender is incredibly potent if you add too much to your treats you may not enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed. We use a mortar and pestle to grind the lavender buds prior to use, and sprinkle a very small amount on the top afterward. You can also chop it up very finely, or use a bud grinder.
Lemon Lavender Poppyseed Muffins
- 1.5 cups gluten-free flour blend*
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon poppyseeds
- 1 tsp lavender buds ** (reserve some whole buds for the top of your muffins)
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a muffin tin with coconut oil or muffin liners.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl (first 7 ingredients).
*If your gluten-free flour blend doesn’t have xanthan gum, add 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum to your dry ingredient mix.
** You may want to grind the lavender buds so that they are a powder consistency and can blend into the muffin batter. If you use whole buds, they become very fragrant when you bite into them and can be overpowering. Grind using a mortar & pestle, or finely chop.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, whisk for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until well combined. Sprinkle a small amount of lavender on each muffin, for extra lavender flavour. Be careful not to sprinkle too much as it will overpower the muffin.
- Evenly portion your batter into muffin liners and bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy the soothing scent while they’re baking.
This amazing guest post was written by Jenni + Mimi, Registered Holistic Nutritionists and founders of Naughty Nutrition. They’re research-lovin’ nutrition mavens that have made it their mission to connect you with the most accurate, up-to-date, science-based health resources alongside simple and delicious recipes. You can download a list of their Top Free Resources here to kick-start your health and make this newfound lifestyle stick, for life.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!