This article was republished with permission from Stephanie Dodier.
Eating with a low carb lifestyle really isn’t too difficult when you stick to a real food approach, but it’s often getting there for most people that seems to be the hardest part.
We live in a fast-paced, on-the-go world that prioritizes convenience over quality quite often, a lifestyle which can leave our diets lacking in real food nutrition.
So to help you achieve your goal of living a low carb lifestyle , I’d like to share some simple tips about mastering your breakfast. No matter whether you’re new to eating a low carb lifestyle or if you’ve been doing it for awhile now, these tips can work for you and may even help you learn to try new foods to prevent getting stuck in a food rut.
Oh, and if you’re one of those women who is constantly on the run for your job, with your kids, or because you just like to stay busy, these tips can help you out too. Now all you have to do is follow them and start eating!
Quick tip: If you are new to the low carb world and would like to discover this way of eating or simply looking for a “Yes and No” low carb food list download my free low carb food list.
What does breakfast mean?
The word “breakfast” is derived from the phrase “breaking the fast.” We fast while we sleep, and breaking that fast is just that… it’s the first meal after fasting.
Breaking the fast “Breakfast” can be a meal that happens after eight hours of fasting, or it can happen after ten hours or twelve hours or even eighteen hours. For example, if you have dinner at 6 pm and you do not eat anything until the next day at 7 am, then you have just fasted for about 13 hrs. So then you’re breaking your 13-hour long fast at 7 am with breakfast!
Some people may choose to voluntarily extend their fasting period to eighteen hours by breaking the fast meal at noon. Their “breakfast” doesn’t come until the time that some may consider their “lunch”. They are breaking their 18-hour-long fast (since their last meal was at 6 pm) with a meal at noon!
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Longer fasting periods such as that 18-hour fast are considered to be intermittent fasting protocol. Intermittent fasting (IF) is a term for an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. It does not say anything about which foods you should eat, but rather when you should eat them. Some people will choose to use intermittent fasting daily, while others might fast for just a couple of days each week or every other day. You can read a great post on intermittent fasting here .
Some people choose to fast for much a longer period of time as a means of healing a metabolic condition such as type 2 diabetes or other disorders that have serious ramifications. You can find more by consulting Dr.Jason Fung blog here.
Building the perfect low carb breakfast
That you eat your “break fast” meal at 7 am or 1 pm it’s relevant to what your plate should look like. Food is a bunch of macro nutrients and micro nutrients put together to bring nourishment to your body and to fuel your life.
Be mindful and recognize that the food industry has created a breakfast food category as means to sell more products and to increase their profits. The body doesn’t recognize which category of food we eat, rather it recognizes macro and micro nutrients. The body wants protein, fat, and carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals etc. – not cereals, toast and jam. A great way to get some perspective on this is to look at what breakfast foods around the world look like, a window into the fact that there is nothing that’s actually a “breakfast food” – it’s all about perception.
So what should your low carb breakfast contain?
That’s actually very simple: protein / fat and a little carbohydrate. Protein is a source of strength for the body that transforms into muscle, bone, neurotransmitters once it enters and is used by the body. Complete proteins are mainly from animal sources such as beef chicken, fish, eggs, and collagen, but hemp seeds and quinoa are also complete proteins.
Fat is the raw material for all of our soft tissue such as skin, organ tissue, and hormones, and it represents more than 80% of our brain’s raw materials. Healthy sources of fat are: butter or ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, avocado oil, nuts, and seeds.
Finally ,let’s talk about those carbohydrates. Carbs such as vegetables are a vehicle for micro nutrients like water-soluble vitamins, minerals and also antioxidants. Although in this lifestyle we want to keep our carbohydrate intake low, it is still important to meet the daily intake of 4-5 cups of vegetables per day. Some examples of low carbohydrate vegetables are leafy greens, cauliflower, sprouts, asparagus, green pepper, tomatoes, broccoli, etc.
16 Low carb breakfast ideas & recipes
So all of that is great stuff, but what you really need are some ideas as to what to eat. Figuring out what to put on your plate is the biggest challenge! Here are twenty simple, quick and delicious ideas for your low carb breakfast.
- Bacon, eggs, avocado, mushrooms & tomato
- An omelette with your choice of meat, vegetables and of course – whole eggs.
- Scrambled eggs mixed with diced bacon and avocado (my personal favorite!)
- Low carb N’oatmeal
- Lots of nations wake up to soup – make a soup like my Portuguese soup.
- Devilled eggs with a side of green salad.
- Bake an egg in an avocado
- Bone broth with an egg whisked in and swiss chard added in broth.
- Low carb smoothie: 2 cups of spinach, 2 raw eggs and 1 cup of full-fat coconut milk.
- Smoked salmon, fried eggs and sautéed vegetable in butter
- Egg wrap with a side of sprouts and coconut yogurt.
- Green smoothie: 2 cups of leafy greens, 1 cup of almond milk, 1 tbsp of almond butter with a side of 2 eggs.
- Egg muffins – cook these up with your favorite veggies and meat, then help yourself all week. You can even freeze them wrapped up for an instant breakfast.
- Something leftover from dinner last night…could be roasted lemon chicken with asparagus reheated in a pan with butter.
- Breakfast on the go: 2 hardboiled eggs made in advance a with raw veggies and with a handful of macadamia nuts.
- Bulletproof coffee: 1 cup of coffee with 1 tbsp of MCT oil, tbs of butter or ghee and 2 scoops of collagen peptide. Serve with a 1/4 avocado.
Quick tip: Easy peasy checklist of “Yes and No” low carb food list that you can post on your fridge as you learn!
More low carb breakfast ideas
- My Easy Peasy Breakfast digital book is available right here. This is my resource for Paleo low carb breakfast.
- My second go to for you is an amazing website called Diet Doctor, which is a resource of amazing recipes.
- My Pinterest account with the Nutritional Reset folder is loaded with low carb recipe and many options for breakfast.
- Another great website is the Ketodiet app, full of resources for low carb, paleo friendly recipes and guides. I love Martina’s work!
- Finally, another great website is Healthful Pursuit, lead by a colleague of mine Leanne Vogel , a holistic nutritionist. Her site is full of recipes that are paleo and allergy friendly while being low carb.
One of the best ways to make sure that you’re successful is to start your day off on the right foot with a low carb breakfast. It will set you up to be more on target and less likely to fall into those negative habits that you’re trying to break.
Now for your turn!
Share your thoughts: What is your favorite low carb breakfast ? What will be the one new food you will venture to add to your breakfast routine?
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!