It’s crazy that I never thought to make it since our whole family loves pecans and we often freeze pounds and pounds of them each year. It is also delicious and is now my favorite non-dairy “milk” by far!
It doesn’t have the amazing health benefits of camel milk, but pecan milk is pretty awesome on its own.
Why Pecan Milk?
A couple of times a year, my family gets together with some of our closest friends for a week with their families. Last time, we were in the mountains of Colorado and far away from any grocery store. It is a week of awesome craziness with 20+ kids in one huge house and cooking each meal from scratch.
To make things easier, we create a meal plan (using this super-easy program) and divide the list among the families so we can all bring some of the groceries in. We divided the staples (meat, veggies, fruit, etc.) between the families and we also brought some other foods (like kombucha!) and snacks to share.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
One of the families brought pecan milk that was on a demo as a new product at Whole Foods where they stopped to shop on the way in.
The store bought milk was pretty expensive and had added sweeteners, but it tasted amazing! I realized we could make a simpler version at home and avoid the sweeteners.
When we got home, I started experimenting with this recipe and now it is a staple in our kitchen. My kids all love it and it is more creamy than almond or coconut milk, so it is great in recipes. It also adds great flavor to soups and is great over some homemade granola.
In addition, pecans are a great source of magnesium, an essential nutrient that plays a vital role in our bodies. Magnesium helps us maintain a healthy immune system and contributes to bone health .
The Best Part
This recipe is so easy that my kids can make it!
We never run out of milk now and my kids love getting to make this recipe themselves. (Though, to be fair, it is hardly a recipe because it is so simple to make!)
How to Make Pecan Milk
Make pecan milk at home with this simple recipe that yields a delicious creamy pecan milk that your whole family will love.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: None
- ½ to ¾ cup pecans (raw is best, but at least unsalted)
- 1 quart (4 cups) of water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 10 drops vanilla cream stevia extract (optional) or another sweetener
- Soak the pecans in a bowl or pitcher with filtered water overnight or for up to 24 hours. I left mine on the counter during this time. The longer they soak, the creamier the finished milk will be.
- After soaking, pour off the water and rinse the pecans really well.
- Put in a high powered blender and add 1 quart of hot (but not quite boiling) filtered water and salt.
- Add cinnamon and vanilla if using.
- Blend for 3 minutes or until completely creamy.
- Let sit for about 2 minutes and pour through a fine strainer. I recommend a huck towel or cheesecloth over a wire mesh strainer for this. Squeeze the cloth/towel to help get any remaining milk out after the majority has drained.
- Store milk in a glass jar or pitcher with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Use in coffee, on cereal, in recipes or just as a refreshing drink on its own.
Any sweetener of choice can be used in this recipe. I prefer stevia for a sugar-free option, but maple syrup and raw honey work well too (Use about 2 tablespoons of either on of these or to taste). You can also add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder for a chocolate variation.
This article is shared with permission from our friends at wellnessmama.com .
1. Mercola, J. (n.d.). What are pecans good for? Retrieved August 23, 2016, from http://foodfacts.mercola.com/pecans.html
2. K. (2016, August 9). How to Make Pecan Milk (and Why). Retrieved August 23, 2016, from http://wellnessmama.com/124373/pecan-milk-recipe/
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!