This article is shared with permission from our friends at Dr. Hyman.
This week’s recipe is one that promotes a healthy gut! A healthy gut is truly essential for whole-body health. That’s why I almost always start treating my patients’ chronic health problems by first fixing the gut.
Today’s recipe is from The Gut Makeover, a wonderful book from Nutritional Therapist, Jeannette Hyde. It’s important to realize that optimal gut balance begins with your diet. You want to eat lots of fiber, clean protein, and healthy fats – which you’ll get from this delicious, gut-friendly “bread”.
Note: We are aiming for colorful vegetables to take center stage in every meal. So, enjoy a slice of this bread toasted and topped with some roasted peppers or a squeeze of lemon and cayenne pepper, and maybe even a large side salad, to keep your plant count up. Click here for PDF version.
Good-for-Your-Gut Nut Bread
- 3 cups raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cups raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 cups mixed raw seeds (e.g., pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds)
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for oiling the loaf pan
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Mix the nuts and seeds together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, oil and sea salt.
- Stir the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Grease a loaf pan with olive oil. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool in the pan.
- Once cooled, cut the “bread” into slices and serve. Store the remainder of the loaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutritional analysis per serving (one slice or one-eighth of the loaf)
calories 746 • fat 68g • protein 37g • carbohydrate 16g • sodium 348mg
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.