This article is shared with permission from our friends at Dr. Axe.
Grilled cheeses are pretty darn awesome. But I’m not talking about the processed yellow cheese sandwiches of your youth. This Avocado Grilled Cheese is a totally delicious, grown-up version.
It’s made with two types of cheeses, feta crumbles and Pecorino Romano, decidedly not plain ole American cheese. It’s also super creamy (and full of healthy fats!) thanks to the addition of benefit-rich avocado. And it gets an extra protein boost from the chicken tenders — try my Bacon-Crusted Chicken Tenders for that ingredient.
When you need a lunch or dinner that’s simple to make, tastes amazing and the entire family will love, this avocado grilled cheese is it!
In a high-powered blender, mix avocados, garlic, and lemon juice, and purée till smooth. This creamy spread is going to infuse your avocado grilled cheese with a ton of flavor.
Next, melt butter in a pan and add the gluten-free bread slices. On one side, top the bread with the shredded chicken and feta cheese. On the other bread, add the Pecorino Romano cheese and fresh tomato slices.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
This avocado grilled cheese looks great already, but it’s about to be even better …
When the bread slices are golden brown on the bottom, about 3–5 minutes, remove the sandwich halves and place them on a plate. Choose a side and spread the avocado mixture all over it. Delicious!
Then, move quickly and carefully and bring the sandwich halves together to avoid spilling (although don’t let that yummy filling go to waste!).
This avocado grilled cheese is great for a simple dinner — just pair with a side salad. You can even omit the chicken if you don’t have any on hand or want to keep this vegetarian, or even replace the chicken with turkey bacon.
Once you try this avocado grilled cheese, you’ll never go back!
Avocado Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 6–7 chicken tenders, cooked & shredded
- 3 ounces shaved Pecorino Romano
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 4 slices gluten-free bread
- 1–2 tablespoons butter
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl add avocados, garlic and lemon juice, mixing until well combined.
- Add butter to skillet and once melted, add bread.
- Build sandwich in skillet: on one side add feta cheese and chicken, on other side, add shaved pecorino and tomatoes.
- Remove each sandwich half to a plate after 3–5 minutes, once bread is golden brown on bottom.
- Place avocado spread on one side of grilled cheese. Carefully and quickly bring two sandwich halves together to form your grilled cheese.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!