This article is shared with permission from our friends at PaleoHacks.
Whip up these heavenly matcha brownies covered in a velvety smooth matcha frosting.
In this recipe, matcha adds a sweet, deep flavor to the rich chocolate brownies. You can find matcha powder at your local health store, many Asian supermarkets or online—just make sure to buy a culinary grade matcha to get the best flavor.
If you’ve never used matcha before, don’t worry, it’s super easy to add to your favorite desserts! Matcha is a stone-ground powdered green tea used in Japanese tea ceremonies. Packed with a huge amount of antioxidants, matcha is associated with reducing stress and boosting metabolism. This powdered green tea is also a great alternative to coffee, and is known for giving you energy without the jitters.
To make these matcha-powered brownies, simply combine the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Mix both into a smooth batter and then pour into a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Note: Let the parchment paper hang over the sides of the pan so when you remove the baked brownies, all you need to do is grab the hanging parchment paper as “handles” and lift them out. Let the brownies bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and let them cool to room temperature.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
While the brownies are baking, you can prepare the matcha frosting by mixing coconut cream, honey and matcha powder. Make sure the brownies are fully cooled (if they’re too warm, the frosting will melt), then spread the frosting over the brownies using a spatula.
Matcha Brownies with Green Tea Frosting
Recipe by: Dina Hassan
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 9 Squares
- 8×8 baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer or a handheld whisk
For the Brownies:
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoon matcha powder
- ¼ cup almond butter softened
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder for dusting (optional)
For the Matcha Frosting:
- 1 cup coconut cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon matcha powder
- To make the brownies, preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing the sides to hang over the edges.
- In a medium bowl, mix together raw cocoa powder, almond flour, and matcha powder.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the almond butter, coconut oil, honey, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan to room temperature.
- To make the matcha frosting, combine the coconut cream, honey and matcha powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- Whip using an electric mixer or a handheld whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the brownies from the pan and place them on a cutting board. Spread on the frosting using a spatula.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the brownies into 9 squares, dust with matcha powder and enjoy!
Tip: If you’ve cooked with matcha powder before and you enjoy its deep flavor, then add 2 tablespoons. If you’d like a more subtle taste, then just add one tablespoon.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!