What if you could make something that could moisturize your skin and soothe aching muscles at the same time? Enter magnesium lotion.
What is Magnesium?
Magnesium is one of the body’s most essential minerals. Every cell in your body needs magnesium. In fact, over 300 chemical reactions in the body make use of magnesium. The many benefits of magnesium include:
- Maintains healthy bones
- Keeps energy levels balanced
- Promotes healing and soothing of inflammation and other injuries
- Helps in the absorption of vitamin D from the sun
- Promotes circulation
- Can lower your risk of diabetes
There’s no doubt that this mineral is important. But the average American diet doesn’t give your body enough magnesium. The average adult only gets about 66% of their Daily Value of magnesium. Read this article to find out some of the most common signs of magnesium deficiency.
So how do we get enough magnesium? There’s one way to supplement your body with magnesium that you may not have thought of: topically.
Did you know you can absorb nutrients and mineral through your skin? If you’ve ever heard of nicotine patches to help people quit smoking, it’s the same idea. Applying magnesium topically is a great way to reap the benefits of this mineral.
A study by Dr. Norman Shealy of the American Holistic Medical Association had participants use magnesium flake foot soaks and topically applied magnesium oil daily. It was found that after four weeks, 75% of participants displayed a significant increase in their body’s magnesium levels.
Instead of a store-bought moisturizer, try this natural moisturizing body butter instead. Not only does it moisturize and soothe muscles, it also acts as a more natural form of sunblock, too! Shea butter and avocado oil have a natural SPF ranging from 4 – 10.
Homemade Moisturizing Magnesium Body Butter
- ½ cup magnesium flakes
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- Purchase pure magnesium oil
Magnesium Body Butter
- ½ cup magnesium oil
- ¼ cup avocado oil (alternatively, you can use sweet almond oil or unrefined coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoons emulsifying wax
- 3 tablespoons shea butter
- Add boiling water and magnesium flakes to a container and stir to dissolve. Let it cool before continuing.
Magnesium Body Butter
- Using a small pot, fill it to about a ¼ with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and fit a pyrex bowl (or a stainless steel mixing bowl) on top to make a double-boiler. Make sure that the bowl is not reaching the water.
- Add all ingredients except for the magnesium oil to the bowl and let them melt together. Remove the bowl from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Using a hand blender, blend your mixture and slowly incorporate the magnesium oil.
- When well-mixed, cool in the fridge for 15 minutes. Blend again and now it’s ready!
Your magnesium body butter should keep for up to two months. For best results, store in the fridge for cooling relief.
Gullestad L, Oystein Dolva L, Birkeland K. Oral versus intravenous magnesium supplementation in patients with magnesium deficiency. Magnesium and Trace Elements. 1991-1992; 10(1):11-16.
Shealy N. Life Beyond 100: Secrets of the Fountain of Youth. Tarcher; 2006.
Sircus M. Transdermal Magnesium: A New Modality for the Maintenance of Health. Available at: http://www.omega3global.com/shop/images/pdfs/transdermal_magnesium.pdf. Accessed March 18, 2010.
“Natural Sunscreens (& Why You NEED To Switch)”. almost exactly blog. Web. 7 June 2017. https://almostexactlyblog.com/2013/05/15/natural-sunscreens-why-you-need-to-switch/
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.