Mold is something that almost every homeowner has to deal with at some point in their life. From the corners of ceilings to the depths of your basement, mold grows anywhere where there are high levels of humidity and a lack of sunlight. One of the most common places where mold grows is the washroom, any many common appliances household components and appliances such as the bathtub and washing machine are known to grow mold.
However, there are many other items that you probably have in your house right now which also grow mold. These items are less notoriously known for their mold-supporting capabilities, which is why I’m going to tell you why and how they grow mold, as well as how to get rid of it.
Many people overlook the possibility of mold growth in the microwave as they assume radiation kills mold spores. However with all of the variety of substances that people use it for, microwaves are especially susceptible to mold growth. A musty smell being emitted from the microwave is usually an effective indicator of mold growth. Sometimes visual signs of mold such as fuzzy green or black patches appear.
The best way to prevent mold growth in your microwave is by keeping it clean, and most importantly, dry. Having a microwave full of food and water residue causes a build up of moisture within the enclosed space. This is why it’s important to always clean your microwave out every few weeks. If you are microwaving something with a lot of liquid, such as soup, make sure to air your microwave out after using it.
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
Coffee makers are the perfect environment for mold growth. Since their purpose is to create hot liquid for you every morning there is a lot of moisture build up that often gets left unchecked. One 2011 study found that half of all household coffee makers that were analyzed contained some form of mold or yeast. On average, they had a higher germ count than both bathroom door handles and toilet seats.
To clean your coffee pot of mold, fill the water chamber up with equal parts white vinegar and water. Then allow the mixture to brew until about half of the chamber is empty. Turn the coffee maker off and let it sit for around 30 minutes, then continue brewing until it is finished. Rinse the machine and repeat. Scrub the chamber with a soapy sponge and make sure to dry thoroughly.
Nothing will turn you off of reading more than opening up a warped, moldy book. Many of us have forgotten book cases full of old books, which are oftentimes kept in dank basements or musty attics. That stale, “old book” smell is usually due to a build up of mold that it has generated over the years. Not only does mold give the book an unpleasant smell, but it also makes it very visually unappealing and can degrade the structure of the book, causing it to fall apart.
In order to prevent mold from building up on books that you want to preserve, make sure to keep them on bookshelves that get a decent airflow, preferably on the main floor of your home. In order to remove mold from the inside of a book, slide a sheet of wax paper underneath the affected page (in order to protect the page behind it). Then use a soft brush to remove any obvious signs of mold. After any visually obvious mold is gone, lightly dampen a soft cloth with hydrogen peroxide and gently dab it on the page, making sure not to damage it in the process.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!