Every day, you wake up with a frontal cortex fully charged with willpower (provided you are getting plenty of good, quality sleep!). How you apply that willpower over the course of the day can largely be affected by that first 30 minutes of your morning.
Here are the six steps to developing and following this power ritual:
1. Find a calm space.
Each morning, wake up and go to a place where you can be alone and settle into a space of sacred silence. This space is ideally separate from your bedroom but can be any place where you have privacy.
2. Hydrate to fuel your body.
Start your day by drinking a glass of fresh, filtered water.
3. Take just a few minutes to reflect.
Think about your personal ethos and establish positivity through gratitude. Use your journal for this and reflect on questions like these:
- What and for whom am I grateful for?
- What am I excited about and looking forward to doing today?
- What is my purpose and do my plans for today connect me to it?
- Who can I reach out to and serve, or thank, today?
4. Focus on your breathing for at least five minutes.
I recommend my technique of box breathing. This is a discipline I teach at my SEALFIT Academy. It is a practice of deep diaphragmatic breathing, meant to be done in a quiet and controlled setting. To put it simply, you inhale for a count of five, hold for a count of five, exhale for five, and then hold your breath again for a count of five.
5. Mindfully move your body.
I recommend doing a few sun salutations, moving with the breath, or taking a brisk walk on which you remain internally focused.
6. Close the session by “dirt diving” your day.
Review your plan for the day, make any final adjustments, and then visualize yourself going through all the major, important actions planned for the day and dominating each. This prepares your mind for winning.
This simple ritual is designed to fit into as little as 20 minutes. If you have more time, great, you could expand the yoga practice to an hour or more. But even if you spend just five or ten minutes and do it consistently each and every day, the results will be life-changing. Sound appealing? There’s no reason you can’t start now.
This excerpt was republished with permission from mindbodygreen.com
A Special Message From Our Founders
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes