This article is shared with permission from our friends at Healthy Delicious.
I’ve always been a user of conventional deodorants and antiperspirants because, to be honest, the chemicals have been the only things that have worked for me. But I’m also a proponent of healthy living, and if there is a healthier way to do something, and if that healthier way actually works, I’m all over it.
I was completely (utterly) skeptical of coco oil’s pit protecting powers until I tried a deodorant that a friend made me last year. She swore by it. After reluctantly giving it a try, I realized that it actually works. Like, actually works. It actually lasts through crazy sweaty high-intensity interval training in the summer. Like, actually lasts better than that conventional crap I was using.
Conventional deodorants and antiperspirants are loaded with nasty chemsc like aluminum (which has been linked to breast cancer and Alzheimer’s), parabens (which have been linked to organ toxicity and hormone problems), phthalates (which have been linked to birth defects), triclosan (a known carcinogen), and propylene glycol (which has been linked to organ damage).
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
Applying these chemicals to your skin can actually be more dangerous than ingesting them, because when you ingest a chemical, you have digestive enzymes that help to break it down through the digestive process – a chemical applied to your skin can be absorbed immediately to your bloodstream. And let’s talk about how many people also find that using an antiperspirant actually makes them sweat more. Those are a few reasons to try a natural deodorant, if you ask me.
This natural deodorant uses nothing more than coconut oil (for its antifungal, antibacterial properties – I’ve written about coconut oil’s other benefits here), baking soda (for its odour-neutralizing properties), cornstarch or arrowroot powder (for moisture-absorbing properties), and essential oils (for fragrance).
A couple downsides…
It works better than conventional deodorants, but it’s still not perfect. Here are a few (small) downsides to using this deodorant:
- Many people find that the baking soda can irritate their armpits after shaving, so it’s best to shave at a different time than you apply deodorant.
- This deo is not very portable in the summer. Coconut oil becomes a liquid mess in the heat, and can migrate through even the tightest of seals on a jar. If it’s hot out, I advise against taking this concoction anywhere with you. But it’s not the end of the world, as I find that this deodorant works better than anything conventional. And, if you work in an office, why not keep a small jar of this deodorant in your desk drawer just in case?
Best Natural Deodorant Recipe
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 5-15 drops essential oil (I like a mix of peppermint, eucalyptus and lavender)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer to a small glass jar.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!