They didn’t just beat the Netherlands in a 2-0 win to claim their fourth world cup title. The incredible players of the U.S Women’s National Soccer Team (USWNT) broke an unending list of records throughout the tournament, going on to become the first team to score the most goals in a single game in world soccer history, after defeating Thailand with a 13-0 win . This one is still surreal to me, and we are not getting past it anytime soon.
Nike went all out to make the most astounding commercial video in celebration of the USWNT, a powerful proclamation of victory, solidarity, and progress that would certainly chill you down to the spine . If you’ve never felt the spirit of football unity in full force, Nike puts it all out in this incredible one-minute video that went viral a few hours after the champions were announced.
Gender equality starts now
The narrator spoke with a diction that could literally split the earth in two. Titled “Never Stop Winning”, the video had a consistent undertone of promoting gender neutrality and equality in soccer. “I believe that we will be four-time champions and keep winning until we not only become the best female soccer team but the best soccer team in the world,” the narrator declared.
This ad is certain to be a source of encouragement to the players in the USWNT who slammed the U.S Soccer Federation with a lawsuit in March this year . The women’s team is massively and unfairly underpaid in comparison to the men’s team. According to the Atlantic, while the men would earn a resounding $440 million for each tournament won, the women are paid a relatively miserly $30 million dollars, proof that gender discrimination and inequality are at their greatest heights in FIFA. Too bad for the favored men’s team, they didn’t even qualify for the World Cup last year. Let’s see what the women would be paid this year for bringing the cup home for the fourth time.
The video put the team on the spotlight, using their incredible victory as a beacon of inspiration to women all over the world, not just in soccer but in all walks of life.
“I believe that we will make our voices heard and TV shows will be talking about us every single day and not just once every four years. And that women will conquer more than just the soccer field like breaking every single glass ceiling and having their faces carved on Mount Rushmore,” the narrator could be heard saying as images of the champions flashed across the screen in black and white.
“…and that we’ll keep fighting not just to make history, but to change it. Forever!”
This was followed immediately by the deafening eruption of the crowd into a glorifying cheer for the team as they huddled around their golden cup. My favorite part of the video.
- Prahl, Amanda. Every Record the Amazing US Women’s Soccer Team Broke at the 2019 World Cup. Pop Sugar. https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Records-Broken-US-Womens-Team-2019-World-Cup-46258822. Retrieved 15-07-19
- Scagell, Julie. Here’s The Nike Women’s World Cup Ad That’s Giving Everyone Chills. Scary Mommy. https://www.scarymommy.com/nike-women-world-cup-ad/. Retrieved 15-07-19
- Mertens, Maggie. The U.S. Women’s Soccer Team’s Biggest Battle Is Yet to Be Won. The Atlantic. https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/07/womens-world-cup-final-boon-equal-pay/593419/?utm_source=FB. Retrieved 15-07-19
- Pridgett, Tamara. Meet the 23 Players on the US Women’s National Team in Pursuit of Their 4th World Cup Title. Pop Sugar. https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/US-Women-World-Cup-Roster-2019-46215485. Retrieved 15-07-19
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes