This article is shared with permission from our friends at blog.paleohacks.com.
Are you ready for a citrusy Paleo pastry that’s bursting with poppy seeds? These light Orange Poppy Seed Muffins are dairy-free, grain free, and nut-free. They’re a paleo-friendly snack you can take on the go or have for breakfast!
A few months ago, I made a gluten-free poppy seed muffin with oranges. But the oranges were a complete accident. I planned on making lemon poppy seed muffins, but I wasn’t paying attention and grabbed an orange instead. And you know what? That was one of the best baking mistakes of all time! The orange adds a refreshing burst of flavor, which makes this muffin unlike any other.
Now don’t get me wrong. Lemons are lovely and springy and all, but oranges are all the more enchanting. They’re thirst-quenching, and I always crave them big-time when the heat cranks up during the summer!
A little coconut flour, a few eggs, a little this, a bit of that, and bam! Thick, citrusy Paleo muffins were born.
What’s more, you get to reap the benefits of poppy seeds! What are these tiny black seed good for anyway? Livestrong.com has the following to say about this popular bagel topping:
- Poppy seeds are packed with dietary fiber, which prevents constipation and promotes healthy bowel movements.
- High-fiber diets also reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Poppy seeds are also rich in calcium and copper. These essential minerals play a role in keeping your bones healthy.
- Their phosphorus content works with calcium to make up part of your bone tissue.
- In addition, poppy seeds are a source of manganese, which helps make collagen, a protein that gives your skin its strength and elasticity.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
If you don’t already have oranges or are not an orange fan, feel free to swap them with lemons. Or you could even use lemons and oranges. Now that’s a brilliant idea! Whichever option you choose, this recipe will work for you. Trust me! I’ve done my research here. Don’t wait another minute to try this citrusy Paleo snack that’s bursting with poppy seeds.
Orange Poppy Seed Muffins
Recipe by Megan Olson
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a muffin tray with liners, or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a standing or hand mixer, combine the eggs whites, honey, orange juice, salt, and orange zest. Blend until the eggs are fluffy, and the citrus bubbles with the ingredients.
- Add the coconut flour and oil,* then mix just to combine. Do not over-combine.
- Spoon the batter into 6 muffins cavities, filling each one ¾ of the way.
- Bake muffins at 350 °F degrees for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or enjoy immediately.
*Pro tip: To prevent the coconut oil from hardening, mix all of the batter with the flour.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!