Forget glue traps and a mouse trap, your best natural remedy is something much simpler: peppermint plants. Not only is it a great household addition due to its smell, it also has a range of health benefits and even deters pests like mice, spiders, ants and more!
Peppermint plants come in two varieties, black and white. The black has darker leaves and a stronger scent, while the white is lighter in color and aroma. They require lots of water, drainage, and sunlight but make a great addition to your home.
Keep Pests Out
Peppermint is nature’s pest repellant because it can get the job done without using harmful chemicals. It might smell nice to us, but the strong scent is overwhelming and unpleasant for common household pests.
It’s also pet-friendly because it can stop fleas from latching on to your dog. Simply place some leaves into a bag or pillow and put it beside or under their bed. For the bigger pests, an oil spray usually works best, and it’s simple enough to make yourself.
Make Your Own Peppermint Spray
To start, you can either buy the oil separately or make your own. If you’re going to make your own, start here.
What you need
- Fresh peppermint
- Light base oil (grape seed or almond oil)
- Mortar and pestle
- Jar with lid
- Cheese cloth or strainer (coffee strainer works too)
- Small dark bottle to store
What to do
- Collect peppermint leaves, the best time is in the morning when the oil’s at its strongest
- Rinse with cold water, pat dry
- Use the mortar and pestle to gently bruise the leaves, releasing the oils
- Heat the oil slightly in a saucepan
- Add the oil to fully cover the leaves in the jar
- Use a spoon to mix well and ensure oil is equally spread throughout the leaves
- Seal the jar & allow it to sit for 1 month
- Pour the oil through cheesecloth or a strainer into the storage bottle to remove the leaves. Squeeze excess oil in the bottle
Make the spray using 9 parts water and 1 part oil, then shake well. Spray it along areas where the pests can enter your home first. If they’re already inside try to spray to lead them out.
The next time you’re looking to freshen up your home, look no further than a peppermint plant. Not only does it help remove pests, it also offers a range of health benefits and smells great!
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)