Sugary drinks are one of the main reasons you may not be losing weight. A pina colada is said to contain around 650 calories. Yikes! We love to indulge but we have to restrict it to keep our stomachs slim and stay healthy.
I have a hard time deciding on what healthy snack I would rather have, a delicious juice or a muffin. Behold the solution, Pina Colada Muffins!
You’ll get all the taste of a pina colada without the sugar rush. You won’t even have to worry about grains or dairy upsetting your stomach because this is a gluten-free, grain-free and dairy-free recipe. Get your ingredients ready and your sunglasses on because you’ll want to enjoy these in the heat. With just one bite you’ll be transported to a tropical place.
Coconut Flour: The Best Choice for Gluten Free Baking
Whether you have a gluten intolerance, celiac disease or just want to lose weight, giving up regular flour can be a quick fix. We still want to be able to bake and enjoy the recipes and food we love so instead of throwing out flour for good replace it with coconut flour.
- Coconut flour is packed with
fiber so it is especially beneficial to those with autoimmune or digestive problems, like leaky gut syndrome.
- The high levels of healthy saturated fats and fatty acids support a healthy metabolism and help with balancing our blood sugar levels.
- Coconut flour scores low on the glycemic index so it does not spike blood sugar levels. Consuming coconut products can help lower the overall glycemic impact of the food that you eat. This is especially beneficial for those with diabetes and who want to lose weight.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at blog.paleohacks.com.
Pina Colada Muffins
These muffins are very simple to make and are filled with delicious fresh fruit.
Serves: 6 muffins
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup pineapple sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a bowl, combine egg whites, honey, and vanilla and whisk until eggs become fluffy.
- Fold in the almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda and shredded coconut into the wet ingredients.
- Divide the batter among 6 muffin cavities.
- Bake at 350 °F for 22-25 minutes, until the tops of the muffins, are set and lightly browned around the edges.
- While the muffins are baking, add the ingredients for the glaze to a blender and blend until the pineapple chunks are broken down. Freeze the glaze while the muffins finish baking.
- Remove the muffins from the oven. Cool in the pan 2-3 minutes before removing and placing on a baking rack to cool completely.
- Remove the glaze from the freezer. Using a spatula, spread 1-2 tablespoons of the glaze on the top of each muffin. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
- Store muffins in the refrigerator in an airtight container up to one week.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.