The Hearty Soul is pleased to offer our readers a FREE bag of Sprouted Quinoa through Thrive Market, an online grocery store that delivers organic, healthy, non-GMO foods right to your doorstep! Take advantage of this great offer today.
I love chocolate, which I try to enjoy in moderation. I am always looking to create a healthy version of foods that allow me to partake of my favorite desserts. This cake is no exception. It is in fact my new favorite cake.
There is no flour in this cake, which makes it a wonderful option for anyone who is gluten intolerant. The quinoa makes this cake moist, light and fluffy. Quinoa is also a nutritional powerhouse loaded with vitamins, minerals and protein. Learn more about
How well do you know your healthy ingredients? Take the quiz to find
Lakanto the zero calorie sugar
This recipe also uses Lakanto in place of sugar. Lakanto is made from Non-GMO erythritol and the supersweet extract of the luo han guo fruit, also known as monkfruit. Unlike sugar and the other sweeteners, Lakanto does not feed the harmful yeast (candida) and bacteria in your body. Lakanto is also safe for diabetics.
Lakanto all-natural sweetener, has:
- Zero calories
- Zero glycemic index
- Zero additives
- No influence on your blood sugar and insulin release
- A one-to-one ratio with sugar — so it’s easy to measure and use
There are two varieties of Lakanto available: golden and classic. Golden Lakanto has a flavor similar to brown sugar or molasses. Classic Lakanto has a flavor similar to table sugar. Lakanto is available online and in health food stores.
This cake is delicious with a number of different toppings. You can keep it light by topping it with fresh fruit, create a German chocolate cake with coconut frosting, or a true chocolate delight with chocolate ganache. Both topping recipes are listed at the bottom of the article.
You can also use this recipe to create a single or double layer cake, or cupcakes. Baking directions are included for all options below.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
- 2 cups organic quinoa, cooked
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 4 organic eggs (use chia seed gel for vegan option)
- ½ cup ghee (use coconut oil for a vegan /dairy free version)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Lakanto (or other sweetener such as coconut sugar)
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line a 9-inch cake pan with a round of parchment paper at the bottom, for single layer cake, or two 9-inch cake pans with a round of parchment paper at the bottom for a 2 layer cake.
- Melt butter.
- Put the quinoa, milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla into a food processor fitted with the metal “S” blade. Pulse to combine and then process until smooth, this will take about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the Lakanto, cacao powder, baking powder, soda, and salt to the bowl and pulse to combine well.
For a single layer cake:
Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40-42 minutes or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.
Let the cake cool on a rack for about 15 minutes before turning out of the pan. This cake is delicate to flip it, place a plate over the pan and then flip both over together.
For a two layer cake:
Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and bake on a center oven rack for 28-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Divide batter into paper cupcake liners in muffin pan, filling 2/3 full and bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
When the cake or cupcakes are completely cool, frost as desired.
German Chocolate Frosting
- 16 Medjool dates, pitted
- Water to cover dates in bowl
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup coconut, organic, unsweetened, finely shredded
- ½ cup organic pecan
- Place 16 pitted in enough water to cover. Soak for 20-30 minutes to soften.
- Drain water from dates, reserving ¼ cup for processing
- Place dates in food processor with “S” blade. Add reserved date water.
- Process till smooth and creamy
- Add pecans and coconut, mix till blended.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut oil, organic
- ¾ cup cacao powder, organic
Place all ingredients in high-speed blender and process till smooth.
Spread on cake or muffins and place in fridge to set the ganache.
Cake recipe adapted from Quinoa Chocolate Cake, Quinoa 265 by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming.
The Hearty Soul is pleased to offer our readers a FREE bag of Sprouted Quinoa through Thrive Market, an online grocery store that delivers
organic, healthy, non-GMO foods right to your doorstep! Take advantage of this great offer today.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!