Throughout history, countless philosophers and enlightened figures have agreed on one truth: Wisdom is a timeless virtue. Indeed, the sage advice and insights of our ancestors – from Socrates to Benjamin Franklin – continue to help and inspire us today.
So bookmark this page and save the words of yet another wise thinker from long ago – namely, Musashi Miyamoto, one of the greatest swordsmen and philosophers from Japan’s history. You never know when his words might come in handy!
Musashi Miyamoto: Samurai Philosopher
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Musashi Miyamoto (1584-1645) was a legendary Samurai warrior, born in Japan during the war-torn feudal era (2). Born into a family of warriors, Musashi quickly proved himself to be a prodigious Samurai, expert strategist, and a master swordsman, even founding a new school in the art of Japanese swordwielding (kenjutsu) in which two swords are used instead of one(3). He spent his life engaging in a record-setting 60 duels, guiding pupils in ketjutsu, and writing about the art of battle (4).
Musashi is also remembered for his deep wisdom, spirituality, and self-discipline. Written shortly before his death, The Way of Walking Alone (Dokkodo) remains Musashi’s final literary masterpiece (3) – a work full of wise precepts that remain relevant and inspiring to this day.
Below, we list just a few of Musashi’s most thoughtful and illuminating quotes for your (self-)reflection.
12 Quotes from Musashi Miyamoto’s Dokkodo
1) Brown, L. (2017). A Japanese Buddhist Master reveals 21 rules of life that will blow your mind. [online] Hack Spirit. Available at: https://hackspirit.com/japanese-buddhist-master-reveals-21-rules-life-will-blow-mind [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
2) Musashi-miyamoto.com. (2017). MUSASHI MIYAMOTO | Early years, first sword fights. [online] Available at: http://www.musashi-miyamoto.com/musashi-miyamoto-early-life.html [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
3) Musashi-miyamoto.com. (2017). MUSASHI MIYAMOTO | Duel years. [online] Available at: http://www.musashi-miyamoto.com/musashi-duel-years.html [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
4) Musashi-miyamoto.com. (2017). MUSASHI MIYAMOTO | Later Life and Death. [online] Available at: http://www.musashi-miyamoto.com/later-life-and-death.html [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
Image and video sources:
1) Commons.wikimedia.org. (2017). File:Musashi ts pic.jpg – Wikimedia Commons. [online] Available at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Musashi_ts_pic.jpg [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!