Throughout history, countless philosophers and enlightened figures have agreed on one truth: Wisdom is a timeless virtue. Indeed, the sage advice and insights of our ancestors – from Socrates to Benjamin Franklin – continue to help and inspire us today.
So bookmark this page and save the words of yet another wise thinker from long ago – namely, Musashi Miyamoto, one of the greatest swordsmen and philosophers from Japan’s history. You never know when his words might come in handy!
Musashi Miyamoto: Samurai Philosopher
Musashi Miyamoto (1584-1645) was a legendary Samurai warrior, born in Japan during the war-torn feudal era (2). Born into a family of warriors, Musashi quickly proved himself to be a prodigious Samurai, expert strategist, and a master swordsman, even founding a new school in the art of Japanese swordwielding (kenjutsu) in which two swords are used instead of one(3). He spent his life engaging in a record-setting 60 duels, guiding pupils in ketjutsu, and writing about the art of battle (4).
Musashi is also remembered for his deep wisdom, spirituality, and self-discipline. Written shortly before his death, The Way of Walking Alone (Dokkodo) remains Musashi’s final literary masterpiece (3) – a work full of wise precepts that remain relevant and inspiring to this day.
Below, we list just a few of Musashi’s most thoughtful and illuminating quotes for your (self-)reflection.
12 Quotes from Musashi Miyamoto’s Dokkodo
1) Brown, L. (2017). A Japanese Buddhist Master reveals 21 rules of life that will blow your mind. [online] Hack Spirit. Available at: https://hackspirit.com/japanese-buddhist-master-reveals-21-rules-life-will-blow-mind [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
2) Musashi-miyamoto.com. (2017). MUSASHI MIYAMOTO | Early years, first sword fights. [online] Available at: http://www.musashi-miyamoto.com/musashi-miyamoto-early-life.html [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
3) Musashi-miyamoto.com. (2017). MUSASHI MIYAMOTO | Duel years. [online] Available at: http://www.musashi-miyamoto.com/musashi-duel-years.html [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
4) Musashi-miyamoto.com. (2017). MUSASHI MIYAMOTO | Later Life and Death. [online] Available at: http://www.musashi-miyamoto.com/later-life-and-death.html [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
Image and video sources:
1) Commons.wikimedia.org. (2017). File:Musashi ts pic.jpg – Wikimedia Commons. [online] Available at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Musashi_ts_pic.jpg [Accessed 27 Oct. 2017].
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes