This awesome post was written by Alina Islam, a wonderful Certified Nutritional Practitioner from Toronto, Canada. She is a writer, speaker and nutritional consultant. You can read more of her work at AlinaIslam.com or follow her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Ever sat in a client meeting where all you’re really thinking about is the dessert tray sitting in the middle of the boardroom table?
Client: “I am saying important things blah blah blah”
Me: “Yes, yes fascinating”
My brain: “Should I reach for the muffin? But no one else is reaching for food, I’ll look like a pig. I shouldn’t anyway, so much sugar. But I haven’t had lunch yet…DAMMIT the client just took my muffin. Should’ve grabbed it when I had the chance. Hmm what about that cookie?”
If your brain sounds anything like mine, you need this recipe in your life. When the 3pm cravings hit at work (or frankly, cravings at any time) this is the perfect sweet treat (plus brain fuel) without the guilt. The dates provide the sweetness, the raw almond butter provides the creamy indulgent OMGAH goodness, and the seeds help to release the sugar into your bloodstream slowly, so that you don’t have an energy crash later.
Raw Energy Balls
Makes: 12 or so
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds (optional)
- Throw pitted dates and almond butter into a food processor
- Process on low for 1-2 minutes
- Add in pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds. Process for 1 minute on low, then 1 on high.
- Stop to scrape down the sides and mix by hand to make sure everything is incorporated
- Process until everything is broken into small pieces
- Take out a small amount, it should be slightly sticky!
- Roll into a ball. It should be easy to do this in the palm of your hand
- Store in the fridge for the week
P.S. There are so so many varieties of energy balls that you can make! I’ll keep posting more, but feel free to play around with the ingredients. All you really need is dates, some nuts & seeds, and some other fun stuff to throw in e.g. nut butter, cacao, vanilla etc.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes