Extreme methods of weight loss seem to be a popular trend, for instance submerging yourself in a tub of ice. But burning fat doesn’t have to be this complicated. In fact, simple exercises like the reverse plank are great for burning fat effectively. Not only does the reverse plank help burn fat but it also helps improve your posture. The form is easy to master, just follow the below steps and watch the video for a complete guide on how to do a reverse plank.
Reverse Plank Exercise
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
As reviewed by a board-certified physician, the following are the steps to perfect the reverse plank exercise (1):
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Place your palms with fingers spread wide, on the floor slightly behind and outside your hips.
- Press into your palms and lift your hips and torso toward the ceiling.
- Look up to the ceiling, point your toes and keep your arms and legs straight.
- Keep your entire body strong and form a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Squeeze your core and try to pull your belly button back toward your spine.
- If your hips sag or drop, lower yourself back to the floor.
Try these variations of the reverse plank as demonstrated in the plank exercise video below.
Plank Exercise Benefits
According to fitness Mercola (2), the following are benefits of planking:
- Toned core- planking will help build your deep inner core muscles
- Reduced back pain- planking helps strengthen your back muscles, especially your upper back. Also, there is a direct correlation with increasing core muscle strength and decreased back pain.
- Flexibility- the muscles around your shoulders, collarbone and shoulder blades tend to expand and stretch when you plank, creating flexibility in those muscles.
- Improved balance and posture- Planking works all the muscles you need to maintain a proper posture, such as your back, shoulders, abs and neck. As you start to incorporate planks into your everyday routine, you’ll start standing up straighter.
Things to Avoid While Doing Plank Exercises
As mentioned before, proper form is very important, especially when planking. Fitness Mercola (2) advises the following when doing plank exercises:
- If you have back pain or any injuries, be very careful with these exercises- start off slow
- If you’re just starting out, hold the plank position for several seconds to get used to it, then work your way up to more challenging positions.
- Make sure your head, shoulders, and hips don’t drop.
- Make sure your hands aren’t too close together- this could cause internal rotation and instability.
- Don’t hold your breath.
- Also, don’t hold any position for a long period.
This form of exercise can improve your body in ways you never thought, but you have to make sure that your form is correct otherwise you’ll be doing more harm than good.
- Quinn – Reviewed by a board-certified physician, E. (2016, May 4). How to Do the Reverse Plank Exercise. Retrieved May 01, 2017, from https://www.verywell.com/reverse-plank-exercise-3120740
- Fitness Mercola. (2014, December 5). 5 Health Benefits of Doing Plank Exercise. Retrieved May 01, 2017, from http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2014/12/05/5-plank-benefits.aspx
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!