Rubbing alcohol is one of the most useful substances that you should always have in your home. You can use rubbing alcohol to dissolve other substances, improve your personal care and health, fix your damaged clothes and accessories, clean your home, and manage your garden.
Take Care Of Clothes And Accessories
1. Remove Ink Stains
If your clothes have ink stains, pour some rubbing alcohol on the stain, let it soak for 10 minutes, and then put it in the washer and wash as usual. (3)
2. Prevent Sweat Stains
Sweat stains on shirt collars, armpits, and inner elbows are very common, so before you get dressed, wipe the back of your neck and other areas of your skin with rubbing alcohol to prevent staining your clothes. (3)
3. Sanitize Makeup Brushes
It’s important to clean and sanitize your make up brushes, especially if you use them every day. Pour rubbing alcohol in a container and soak your brushes for 30 minutes. Let them air dry and repeat once a month. (3)
4. Fix Broken Eyeshadow And Blush
Powdered makeup products can often crack and make a mess. Put some rubbing alcohol in a fine-mist spray bottle and spray it on your broken products. Smooth the powder over with your finger or a spoon and allow it to harden for a few hours before your use it. (4)
5. Disinfect Eyeglasses And Phone Screen
Put some rubbing alcohol on your eyeglasses and clean them with a cleaning cloth. You can also clean your phone screen from all the grime and bacteria that it collects over time. (1, 3)
Clean Your Home
6. Get Rid Of Fruit Flies
Fruit flies are definitely an annoying presence in your kitchen. Instead of using toxic chemicals to get rid of them, spray rubbing alcohol on them and let them fall on the floor where you can easily sweep them. (1)
7. Craft A DIY Air Freshener
Not only is this great for sprucing up a room, but it can be used to freshen up bedsheets before the next wash.
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol
- 10-15 drops of essential oil of your choice
- Add mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray anywhere in your home to freshen up the air. (4)
8. Clean Your Windows
What You’ll need
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
- 2 tablespoons ammonia
- 1 1/2 cup water
- a drop of dish soap
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Add them to a spray bottle.
- Spray and wipe your windows to remove dust, dirt, and other spots. (3)
9. Remove Grease
Rubbing alcohol can be an all-purpose de-greaser for the kitchen. Apply some rubbing alcohol on a cloth and wipe your stovetop, vents, countertops, and any other object or surface that’s greasy. Unlike other kitchen cleaners, rubbing alcohol dries fast and doesn’t leave any residue. (3)
10. Peel Off Stickers
As a solvent, rubbing alcohol can also remove stickers and sticker residue. Soak the area with the sticker in rubbing alcohol and let it sit for a few minutes. You should be able to peel the sticker off easily. (4)
Improve Your Personal Care And Health
11. Soothe Body Aches
If you have back pain or any other muscle pain, massage the area with rubbing alcohol. This substance has the ability to bring blood flow to the surface of the skin and relax muscles, which soothes the aches. (3)
12. Make Deodorant
If you’re out of deodorant and need to freshen up quickly, pour rubbing alcohol to a fine-mist spray bottle and add 15 drops of essential oil. Never apply alcohol after shaving as it will burn your skin, and always do a patch test on a non-sensitive area of your body, such as the inside of your wrist, before applying alcohol or essential oils to sensitive or large areas of your skin. (3)
13. Treat Nail Fungus
Rubbing alcohol is toxic to microorganisms, which makes it an excellent treatment for many health conditions, including fungal infections. If you have issues with nail fungus, pour rubbing alcohol to a container and soak your finger or toe nails for about 20 minutes. You can repeat daily until the fungus disappears. (3)
14. Kill Head Lice
Pour rubbing alcohol in a container and dip a lice comb in each time you comb through the hair. Alternatively, apply some close to the hair roots, and let it sit for 20 minutes before washing it out. (3)
15. Substitute Nail Polish Remover (nystul)
Rubbing alcohol can be an alternative to nail polish removers. Add some on a piece of cotton and rub the nail polish off your nails. (3)
Use It In Your Garden
16. Get Rid Of Pests
Rubbing alcohol can help get rid of common pests in your garden such as aphids, mealybugs, spider mites, and whiteflies. (2)
What You’ll Need
- Rubbing alcohol
- Spray bottle
- Mix 1 part rubbing alcohol to 9 parts water.
- Spray a small part of your plant and wait 2 days to see if the solution affects the plant.
- If the plant is okay, spray the pests on your plant.
- Let the solution kill the pests for about 5 hours and rinse it with water.
- Repeat weekly until pests are gone.
Rubbing alcohol is an ideal substance to clean and improve your health and other possessions. When you use topical remedies, remember to moisturize afterwards because alcohol can make your skin dry. Start keeping and using rubbing alcohol in your home because a safe alternative to toxic chemicals is always necessary.
- How to Super Clean Your Car’s Interior Using Only Natural Ingredients
- Say no to Roundup! Make this 2-ingredient natural herbicide instead for your garden.
- 12 brilliant tricks to clean things that you had no idea were possible to clean
(1) Barber, T. (n.d.) 12 Ways to Use Rubbing Alcohol.
(2) Does Rubbing Alcohol Hurt Plants When Used for Pests? (n.d.) In SFGATE.
(3) Nystul, J. (2017, May 5). 50+ PRACTICAL USES FOR RUBBING ALCOHOL YOU NEED TO TRY.
(4) Sciortino, D. G. (2017, June 19). Mom always kept rubbing alcohol in the medicine cabinet. Here are 15 unexpected uses for it.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!