Sometimes, after a long day of work you don’t have the energy to cook, so instead you warm up a frozen dinner. But do you really know what these frozen dinners contain? Just recently, Banquet frozen meals have been recalled due to possible salmonella contamination. The recall applies to banquet’s breaded chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, and chocolate brownie dessert, all produced on January 26th, 2017.
If you have any of Banquet’s frozen dinners this is what you should look out for according to an article written by CBS Boston (4): The code 3100080921, a ‘best if used by’ date of July 20, 2018, and the products bear FSIS establishment number “P-9” printed on the side of the box.
Currently, there have been no reports of anyone getting sick from these meals.
What is Salmonella?
Salmonella is a common bacterial disease that infects the intestinal tract. It can affect both humans and animals. Humans can get infected through food and water (1).
What Foods Cause Salmonella:
- Raw meat and poultry- feces may get onto the raw meat and poultry.
- Seafood- the seafood could be contaminated by polluted water.
- Raw eggs- some infected chickens produce eggs that contain salmonella before the shells even form.
- Fruits and vegetables- some fruits and veggies may be hydrated with contaminated water.
Mayo Clinic (2) describes the symptoms of salmonella as follows:
- Abdominal cramps
- Blood in the stool
This infection leaves you immensely dehydrated, therefore the medication focuses on replacing fluids and electrolytes. In very serious cases, you may need to be hospitalized and receive fluids intravenously. If you suspect you have salmonella, visit your medical provider immediately. For more information about treatment, you can visit this article.
Quick Meal Tips to Avoid Relying on Frozen Dinners
- Meal prep ahead of time – you can cook fresh food for up to 5 days ahead of time, and refrigerate or place in freezer until you’re ready to eat them.
- Make extra food so you have leftovers – when you do happen to be cooking a meal on a weekday, make extra so you can have leftovers and save that for those unexpected tiring days.
- Try making a one-pan dinner – it’s quick prep and fewer dishes afterwards!
- Slow cooker meals are your friend, and there are so many recipes to choose from.
- You don’t have to follow traditional “rules”. If you feel like eating breakfast for dinner, go for it! Things like eggs cook much faster than meats.
- Try keeping lots of snackable foods and salad ingredients stocked in your kitchen.
- Smoothies – If you come home from work feeling too hungry to wait for dinner, try a filling smoothie! Ideally, though, pack enough food to help you stay energized throughout the day.
The idea here is to have some sort of plan laid out for those busy or tiring nights so you don’t end up resorting to eating fast food or frozen dinners.
- Mayo Clinic. (2017, April 08). Salmonella infection: Overview. Retrieved April 27, 2017, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/salmonella/home/ovc-20314797
- Mayo Clinic. (2017, April 08). Salmonella infection: Symptoms and Causes. Retrieved April 27, 2017, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/salmonella/symptoms-causes/dxc-20314799
- Mayo Clinic. (2017, April 08). Salmonella infection: Treatment. Retrieved April 27, 2017, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/salmonella/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20314813
- 110,000 Pounds Of Banquet Frozen Meals Recalled For Salmonella Risk. (2017, April 20). Retrieved April 27, 2017, from http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/20/banquet-chicken-nugget-frozen-meal-recall-brownie-salmonella/
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!