When it comes to choosing what foods we want to eat, we often need to consider the aftermath of the choice.
Foods may leave us feeling groggy and tired. With fermented foods, however, there’s no need to worry about any such thing. You can be certain that you’ll be left feeling more energetic and be in a better mood than before.
How well do you know your healthy ingredients? Take the quiz to find out!
Serves: Makes about 1 gallon
Prep Time: 20 minutes active prep
Total Time: 4 weeks
- In a large bowl, mix cabbage with salt and caraway seeds. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pack cabbage mixture into a large glass food container. Top with a quartered onion to fit inside the container, weighing it down. Cover container with a paper towel and secure with a rubber band.
- Place in a cool spot overnight. Check to make sure the sauerkraut is completely submerged in liquid. Check cabbage every other day for 2 weeks, skimming off of any scum that may form on the surface.
- Let stand for at least 4 weeks total. Then store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at draxe.com .
1. Group, E. (2015, July 2). The 9 Best Fermented Foods for Your Gut. Retrieved September 12, 2016 from http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/the-9-best-fermented-foods-for-your-gut/
2. DiLonardo, M. (n.d). What are probiotics? Retrieved September 12, 2016 from http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/what-are-probiotics
3. (2012, May 17). 6 Healing Benefits of Probiotics. Retrieved September 12, 2016 from http://www.foodmatters.com/article/6-healing-benefits-of-probiotics
4. Axe, J. (n.d.). Sauerkraut Recipe. Retrieved September 12, 2016 from https://draxe.com/recipe/sauerkraut-recipe/
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes