Thyroid Dysfunction is incredibly common. It is estimated that more than 25 million people in North America are dealing with thyroid issues and half of them have no idea! Hypothyroidism, also known as Under-Active Thyroid, accounts for 90% of all thyroid related issues… but what are the signs?
Your thyroid gland is responsible for your metabolism, the rate at which your cells turn food and other inputs into energy. If your thyroid is not functioning correctly, or your cells are not paying proper attention to the signals, your energy levels will suffer. There are many signs that a dysfunctional thyroid is causing your energy issues.
8 Signs of Thyroid Dysfunction
- Weight gain or the inability to lose weight.
- Mood swings, anxiety, depression and other mood-related issues.
- Fatigue, even after sleeping 8+ hours at night.
- Brain fog, poor concentration and an inability to focus.
- Low sex drive, PMS, irregular periods and infertility – all signs of female hormone imbalance.
- Constantly feeling cold, having cold hands and feet
- Excessive hair loss, brittle nails and dry, cracking skin
How to Determine if Your Thyroid is the Cause
There are lab tests to check the inputs and outputs of the Thyroid gland. I suggest that all patients with these symptoms have the following lab tests completed to determine how the thyroid is functioning:
- TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone)
- Free T4 (Inactive Thyroid Hormone)
- Free T3 (Active Thyroid Hormone)
- Reverse-T3 (Inactivated Thyroid Hormone)
- Thyroid Binding Globulin (Protein that binds to Thyroid Hormone)
- Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPO Ab)
- Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TGB Ab)
Even if your levels are within the “Normal” ranges, they may not be optimal – it’s important to find the root cause of why your levels are not in the ideal range!
8 Things You Can Do to Help Your Thyroid Work Better
- Go Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free: Gluten and Dairy proteins have been found to cause issues in the Gut, leading to autoimmune conditions in which your immune system attacks the Thyroid. This condition is known as Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
- Support your adrenal glands – Adrenals and Thyroid work together, so ensure both glands are supported with proper nutrients and recovery time.
- Learn to deal with stress – We all have preferred methods, you just need to find yours – Yoga, meditation, running, playing with the kids, weightlifting, time blocking, essential oils, massages, journalling (the list goes on and on).
- Get 8 to 10 hours of sleep each night – If possible, go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time every morning… create a sleep routine.
- Remove any Mercury Amalgam fillings in your teeth – see a holistic or biological dentist.
- Use natural toothpaste – fluoride has been shown to block Iodine from attaching to Thyroid Hormone, rendering it useless. Bromine and Chlorine have similar effects
- Heal your gut – A well functioning digestive system (gut) is essential to good overall health
- See a Functional Medicine Doctor near you, who can run the correct lab tests and help you find the root cause of your thyroid imbalance.
Lose 11 pounds in 22 days?
Is it REALLY possible to lose 11 lbs. of fat in 22 days? Actually yes… BUT only when you’re a level 4 fat burner. Unfortunately, most people are stuck as level 1 fat burners. So, how do you become a level 4 fat burner to lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days? Simply eat these foods daily:Lose up to 11 lbs. in 22 days by eating these foods daily
(upgrades you to level 4 fat burning status)