This amazing guest post was written by Holly Bertone, PMP, and CEO of Pink Fortitude! You can check out their website here!
In today’s society, we are always on the go. Reaching for “healthy” snacks may not always be the best option when they are packaged and processed. Oftentimes, they contain hidden sugars and unhealthy fats such as vegetable oils. That’s why we’ve compiled 33 great “whole food” snack ideas for someone with diabetes or for anyone who wants to eat healthily and improve their snack options!
Why Healthy Snacking is So Important
Recent studies show that almost half of all American adults are either diabetic or pre-diabetic. It’s obvious that there is a fundamental problem with the average American diet.
If your body is burning glucose as its primary fuel, blood sugar is regularly elevated and this, in turn, promotes insulin resistance. By the same token, foods that have a high glycemic index (such as white bread and pasta, crackers, sugary cereals) will dramatically spike your blood sugar levels, only to have them crash not long afterward, leading to cravings in the short term and insulin resistance in the long term.
Thankfully, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes can be tempered through nutrition and exercise. This includes a diet high in fiber, healthy fats and protein, and limited amounts of carbohydrates, processed, and sugary foods.
33 Healthy Snack Ideas for Diabetics
If you’re looking for something to snack on, make sure it’s the right choice! These great snack ideas are tasty options you can feel good about:
- Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms
- Avocado Matcha Smoothie
- Avocado Topped with Bacon and Eggs
- Baba Ghanoush
- Baked Broccoli Tots – Substitute with gluten free bread crumbs to help lower the carbs.
- Berry Freezer Pops
- Breakfast Kale Egg Cups
- Broccoli and Cheese Dip (you can easily swap for vegan cheese)
- Buffalo Spiced Nuts
- Carrot Sticks and Hummus
- Celery with Nut Butter
- Chia Seed Pudding
- Fenugreek and Onion Flatbread
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Italian Sub Roll-Ups
- Low Carb Cheese and Bacon Egg Muffins
- Mini Southwestern Style Frittatas
- Mixed Bean Salad
- Mixed nuts – almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, macadamia, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts.
- Paleo Broccoli “Cheese” Snacks
- Paleo Tuna Salad Nori Wraps
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Pumpkin Spice Granola – Go easy on any extra maple syrup.
- Rosemary Parmesan Roasted Chickpeas
- Salmon – grilled or smoked on top of a cucumber with hummus
- Salmon – grilled or smoked on top of an avocado with scrambled eggs
- Salt and Vinegar Zucchini Chips
- Sunflower Seeds
- Sweet Potato Toast
- Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Tuna on Tomato Slices – go easy on the cheese for this tuna melt recipe!
- Veggies and Guacamole
When you’re armed with so many snack options, you’ll be much better prepared to fight the temptation of sugary foods or processed snacks that only make managing your blood sugar levels difficult.
For more tips for controlling blood sugar or diabetes, check out these articles:
- Signs your blood sugar is way too high
- How to help prevent diabetes
- 11 herbs to help reverse type II diabetes
Spritzler, RD CDE, Franziska. “The 16 Best Foods To Control Diabetes”. Authority Nutrition. N.p., 2016. Web. https://authoritynutrition.com/16-best-foods-for-diabetics/
Mercola, MD, Joseph. “9 Superfoods For Diabetics That You Can Add To Your Diet”. Mercola.com. N.p., 2016. Web. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/08/29/9-superfoods-for-diabetics.aspx
“Top 15 High-Fiber Foods”. JJ Virgin. Web. http://jjvirgin.com/top-15-high-fiber-foods/
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!