This segment is republished with permission from Dr. Mercola. His latest book, “Fat for Fuel,” introduces a revolutionary diet to drop weight effortlessly, combat cancer, boost brain power, and increase your energy. Pre-order now before May 16th and receive 6 free bonus gifts.
Disturbing, but far from surprising news has come to light about the “chicken” used in Subway sandwiches. As reported on Fox News, a new study revealed that what they refer to as chicken contains only 50 percent chicken DNA. This was even lower quality than the chicken used by fast food rivals McDonalds and Wendy’s, which also fell short of the near 100 percent purity threshold found in chicken obtained from a butcher or at the grocery store.
Trent University in Canada was responsible for this study of Subway’s mysterious faux-chicken. They ascertained that soy filler was one reason that the purity was at such a low level but this alone did not explain the high level of adulteration.
Subway was quick to condemn the veracity of the study. In response to the complaints, they appear to be positioning themselves to make a specific supplier the scapegoat. There is an ethical option available. They should fall on their sword and concede that what they market as chicken is actually a highly processed Frankenfood.
Subway has been in the news before for suspect ingredients. In 2014, it was revealed that sandwiches they advertise as “healthy” contained azodicarbonamide in the bread. This dubious ingredient, more commonly associated with yoga mats, was foisted on the U.S. market alone and removed after public outcry.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!GET YOUR FREE COOKBOOK!
Even if Subway addresses this pseudo-chicken fraud, do not be fooled into thinking what they are selling can EVER be incorporated into a healthy diet. The sheer number of unpronounceable ingredients that make up a Subway sandwich are staggering. Seemingly simple sandwich components are manufactured from numerous synthetic ingredients and artificial fillers.
Subway does not make much effort to hide that highly processed meats are the foundation of their sandwiches. These mystery meats are laden with preservatives, colorings, artificial flavors and nitrates. It is unconscionable that they market their sandwiches as a healthy and fresh option.
If you insist on eating a sub sandwich, make one at home using wholesome vegetables and sustainably raised meats. I don’t recommend eating bread, but if you must, it should contain only four or five ingredients — not the close to 50 found in Subway’s 9-Grain Wheat.
It is hard to believe that fast food restaurants still attract customers in an era when cutting edge dietary information is at the tip of your fingers. Preparing your own food may sound time-consuming but the health benefits are immense. The convenience and price of processed food is entirely illusory. You can either pay the farmer now or pay the doctor later.
Subway isn’t the only restaurant that fills their products with additives and fillers.
Here are three other restaurants that put harmful ingredients in their foods.
- Bleached flour is the result of manufacturers using a significant amount of chemicals on the wheat. This process strips the wheat of any nutrients from the grain. The bleaching process alongside the milling process gives flour the same nutritional content as sugar. These processing methods produce a toxin called alloxan. Alloxan is used by researchers to produce diabetes in animals to study treatments on them, which illustrates the toxin’s huge effect on blood sugar levels; eating it could promote huge health concerns like diabetes.
- Normally, soybean oil is too unstable for food manufacturing. Therefore, it is often partially hydrogenated so the cheap oil can be used in fast food. This oil is a trans fat, which clogs arteries and increases your chance of heart attacks by raising cholesterol.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is present in almost any product that tastes sweet such as salad dressings, desserts, and even their buns. HFCS comes with a myriad of problems. It adds unwanted calories, it is linked to type 2 diabetes, and it is responsible for obesity. Mercury, a deadly metal in high doses, has also been found in HFCS as a result of the processing methods.
- Maltodextrin is an additive placed in many Taco Bell products including their beef, cheese sauce, rice seasoning, and southwest chicken. This additive is high on the Glycemic index which means it’s high in carbohydrates and has the risk of pushing your blood sugar into unsafe levels. Consuming this additive is a huge risk if you have diabetes or are insulin resistant.
- Cottonseed Oil is a cheap oil used to make Taco Bell’s tortillas, taco shells, and churros. This oil is considered a mild inflammatory, it raises cholesterol, and normally contains high quantities of pesticide residue because the cotton plant isn’t considered a food crop. Eating large amounts of food using cottonseed oil can be more dangerous for you than it is for pests, because it inflames and clogs your arteries and blood vessels. This makes it harder for your heart to pump blood through them. Stress on your heart can lead to heart attacks and other heart problems.
- Monosodium Glutamate better known as MSG appears in KFC’s chicken pot pie 22 times. To those sensitive to it, this addictive flavor enhancer can give headaches, tightness in the chest, pressure around cheeks and jaw, mood changes, weakness, burning sensations, heart palpitations, and weird dreams. It also is responsible for high blood pressure.
- Liquid Margarine found in the chicken pot pie has huge implications on your heart. Margarine is a product of hydrogenated oils like canola and soybean oils. A report indicated that 30,000 heart disease deaths were caused by trans fats like the ones margarine. Part of the reason for this is that margarine decreases good cholesterol but increases bad cholesterol making the heart work harder to move blood around the body.
- Sucralose is highly chlorinated sugar, so your body can’t digest it. This chemical removes good gut bacteria which leads to a boost of nitrogen in your stomach, the amount of water in your colon, and can cause diarrhea. Sucralose is found in many processed foods including KFC’s Hawaiian bun, adding to the already significant number of chemicals in their bread like monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, ammonium sulfate and more.
The highly processed fast food we eat are produced without care or concern for our health. Instead, they are made to be distributed in high quantities at the fastest speeds possible. It’s vital that we limit our intake of these “ingredients” that deteriorate our bodies, if not remove them from your diet entirely.
- Top 6 Fat-Burning Foods to Always Keep in Your Kitchen
- 20 Time-Saving Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- Best 20-Minute Recipes
Dr. Mercola’s latest book, “Fat for Fuel,” introduces a revolutionary diet to drop weight effortlessly, combat cancer, boost brain power, and increase your energy. Pre-order now before May 16th and receive 6 free bonus gifts.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!