This article is shared with permission from our friends at foodmatters.tv.
It can be challenging creating healthy recipes to entertain friends and family that may not be on the same health path as you. Show them how easy it can be to make a healthy and delicious snack.
Spiced roasted sweet potato chips are always a winner in our eyes, but paired with this dairy-free cashew dip, drizzled with a homemade sweet chili dressing, will definitely please your friends and family on their next visit!
Dip This; Not That
This healthy alternative to chips and dip will help decrease your waistline instead of expanding it.
Popular versions of chips and dip, such as ones made by the well-known brand Tostitos, are home to a multitude of unhealthy ingredients. Here’s the low-down on what you can find in this tasty, yet unhealthy, snack (via livestrong.com):
- Tostitos are only made of three ingredients: whole white corn, vegetable oil and salt.
- Vegetable oil has been found to be harmful when consumed in excess. They contain large amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, which have been tied to cancer.
- One serving of Tostitos chips (equivalent to 7 chips) contains 140 calories. Some people are able to consume at least two, three, four or even fives times this amount in one sitting, consuming up to 700 calories from what’s supposed to be just a “snack.”
- These chips offer you very little nutritional value and are mostly composed of carbohydrates and fat.
- One serving of Tostitos chips also contains 115 mg of sodium, which is 5% of your daily recommended intake.
On the other hand, the recipe below is high in fibre and balances blood sugar as it’s made from sweet potatoes. Other health benefits of sweet potato include:
- Anti-inflammatory; reduces chronic inflammation.
- Choline, a nutrient found in sweet potatoes, helps with sleep, memory, muscle movement and learning.
- High in Vitamin A, known for boosting immunity, and contributing to skin and vision health.
- Because of its high fibre content, sweet potatoes help prevent constipation and promote healthy bowel movements.
With this revamped version of chips and dip, you can stop counting calories and start counting on your health.
Sweet Chili Cashew Dip with Sweet Potato Chips
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
For the sweet potato chips
- 1 large kumara (sweet potato)
- 1-2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
For the dip:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours and rinsed
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Juice of lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the dip dressing:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red birds eye chili, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Cut kumara into chips or wedges and place on a lined baking tray.
- Coat well in coconut oil and spices and bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly brown and crisp.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, process soaked cashews, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- In a frypan over medium heat, saute olive oil, chili, maple syrup, garlic, and apple cider vinegar until soft and fragrant. About 2-4 minutes.
- Serve cashew dip in a serving bowl and drizzle with chili dressing to serve with your roasted sweet potato chips.
A quick note from our founders
Have you been curious about the Ketogenic Diet? You're not alone!
Going "Keto" has helped so many of our friends drop weight and keep it off.
And it's the perfect time to try it because right now you can get a free copy of a brand new cookbook called
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy. Even stubborn belly and thigh fat won't stand a chance because your body will have NO CHOICE but to burn that fat for fuel!
If you've struggled to get rid of stubborn fat, you owe it to yourself to test-drive the keto diet and see how effective it really is. It’ll be easy once you have this free cookbook...
HURRY, this FREE offer won’t last long!