This article is shared with permission from our friends at Against All Grain.
I used to love no-bake peanut butter chocolate bars growing up. I’m a sucker for anything peanut butter and chocolate. Unfortunately, peanuts are a legume and not allowed on a paleo diet, and my husband and I both don’t tolerate them well, so I switched a few years ago to using sun butter or almond butter.
So instead, I came up with this no-bake sun butter crunch bars recipe. These bars are so simple and don’t require any baking which I love, well besides the candied pecans which are what give them their crunch.
I wanted a bar that had a crunch similar to puffed rice or puffed quinoa, but grain-free of course, so I quickly mixed up some pecans and maple syrup and baked them until they were crunchy. It’s the exact texture I was hoping for!
You can use whatever type of chocolate on top that you’d like, but I prefer a dark (80% or higher) chocolate. Look for a bar or chips that are free from soy, dairy and preferably cane sugar. Eating Evolved makes some great ones that are coconut sweetened, but can only be ordered online.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
My favorite dark chocolate chips are Guittard brand, but they have a slightly lower cacao percentage than I typically prefer.
Sunflower seed butter is made from grinding raw sunflower seeds, just like peanut butter is made. There are quite a few different brands on the market, and some contain sugars or bad oils, so make sure to look for one that is just sunflower seeds and salt. You can also easily make it at home with a little time and a food processor.
These bars can easily be made nut-free, so you can send them to school with your little ones. Just omit the candied pecans, and make sure to use chocolate that is nut-free, such as Enjoy Life brand.
Sunbutter Crunch Bars
Danielle Walker – AgainstAllGrain.com
For the Candied Pecans
For the Chocolate
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped chocolate
- 1 cup unsweetened sunflower seed butter
- 2⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup arrowroot powder
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 4 tablespoons melted raw cacao butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the chopped pecans, maple syrup, and sea salt and pour onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Very lightly grease an 8×11 pan with coconut oil and line it with parchment paper. Leave flaps that hang over the sides of the pan to release the bars easily.
- Combine the chocolate and coconut oil in a glass bowl set over a saucepan with 2 inches of water in it, creating a double-boiler. Gently stir until melted and fully combined. Set aside.
- Mix the Sunbutter Filling ingredients together in a bowl. Add the candied pecans then press the mixture into the prepared pan. Cover the sunflower butter layer with the melted chocolate and use a spatula to smooth the top. Cover with plastic wrap, then chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, until set. Cut the bars into squares and serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator covered for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
After having those delicious crunch bars, you have to try these next!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!