This amazing guest post was written by Jenni + Mimi, Registered Holistic Nutritionists and founders of The Naughty Nutritionists! Download your FREE copy of the “10 Naughty Secrets to NEVER Diet Again” … These are our juicy secrets for losing weight & feeling beautiful in your body without dieting ever again… Download here!
Double Chocolate Beet Cake with Walnuts
Sweet, earthy, an acquired taste, and they’ll probably temporarily stain your hands when you cook with them – beets are completely under-rated, and definitely undervalued as a superfood.
Beets are well-known for: improving the cardiovascular system, lowering blood pressure, increasing circulation and lowering the risk of heart disease. In fact, beet juice is often used by athletes to boost their performance!
Not only are beets jam packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits, but they are a well-known liver-friendly food. They support the body’s natural detoxification process by aiding in the elimination of toxins, and, who doesn’t want an efficient liver anyway?
And, if you want to ‘beet’ that unfriendly gut bacteria (yes, we went there), arabino-oligosaccharides found in beets act as prebiotics; meaning they provide food and nourishment to your friendly gut bacteria. Having your gut bacteria in a happy, healthy place is a must if you want: increased energy, healthier skin, better mood, healthy weight, and all in all, better health. (Note: do not worry about having ‘red’ or ‘pink’ urine or stool, the pigment betalain found in beets causes this in approximately 14% of people!)
Cooking With Beets
These days, beets have become a weekly staple and we incorporate them into almost everything we cook. You can stew them, add them to salads, eat them raw, make a beet hummus, pickle them, add them to sandwiches, burgers, and believe it or not, one of our favourite methods of using beets in the kitchen: in our baked goods. Raw cakes, cupcakes, chocolate, cookies, ice cream…you name it. Plus, who needs food coloring when you have some beet juice?
So, now that we’ve discussed some awesome beet treats, and why choosing beetroots is amazing for your health, we have a little treat of our own for you. Chocolate, on top of chocolate, with beets, mixed into a cake. The amazing thing about this combination is that beets make the cake incredibly moist, and they bring out the intense taste of chocolate. It’s a match made in pure deliciousness, chocolate heaven
Double Chocolate Beet Cake With Walnuts
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour (if not available, substitute spelt)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 flax egg *
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups pureed boiled beets (about 3 large beets) **
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
* Combine 1 Tbsp milled flaxseeds with 3 Tbsp water. Place in fridge for 10-15 minutes until a gelatinous mixture form.
** To make this cake in no time, simply use vacuum packed boiled beets. They are readily available in the grocery store. Make sure the only ingredient on the label is beets.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Whisk eggs + flax egg with vanilla extract. Add coconut oil and pureed beets and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet beet mixture into the dry mix and stir to form the batter.
- Fold in chopped walnuts and chocolate chips (optional).
- Coat a 9-inch springform pan with coconut oil. Pour batter into pan and if you like decorate with walnut halves on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool and then add glaze or cream (optional).
- Keep it light: Eat as is and use walnut halves for decoration.
- Creamy & moist: Make coconut whipped cream by scooping the cream from the top of a full-fat coconut milk can (do not shake the can). Whip the cream with a hand mixer and 1 tablespoon cane sugar or maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Make it triple chocolate: Make a coconut oil and chocolate glaze by either:
- a. Combining 1/2 cup cacao powder with 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted) and 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup.
- b.Combining 1/2 cup melted dark chocolate chips with 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil.
Allow to cool and glaze the cake.
Join our Naughty Kitchen and Download your FREE copy of the “10 Naughty Secrets to NEVER Diet Again” … These are our juicy secrets for losing weight & feeling beautiful in your body without dieting ever again… Download here!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
This offer is only available until December 31st, 2017. Make sure to grab your copy before the offer runs out.