This amazing post was written by Jenn Ryan, a freelance writer and editor who’s passionate about natural health, fitness, gluten-free, and animals. You can read more of her work at thegreenwritingdesk.com.
As the cooler weather comes in, you’re probably dying to get your hands on a hot drink. Apple cider is the drink of the season, so forgo the coffee and tea for a bit and cuddle up with this amazing drink!
The recipe I’d like to feature is called Thieves Apple Cider, which uses Thieves essential oil to give this cider some great flavor and spice as well as support healthy immune function.
Thieves essential oil is actually a combination of several different essential oils. It got its name from an old French legend of four thieves that lived in 15th-century France. These men devised a concoction of different oils such as rosemary and cloves to keep on their bodies while they robbed dying people as well as corpses.
Thieves essential oil is usually a combination of the following essential oils: rosemary, clove bud, eucalyptus, lemon peel oil, and cinnamon bark oil. This combination can actually be made at home if you have all of these essential oils on hand and it smells amazing! Try to stick to organic if possible with the essential oils.
So what does Thieves essential oil have to do with apple cider?
Potential Health Benefits
Thieves essential oil contains some great oils that can help support your immunity. Rosemary has long been known to increase circulation and has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Lemon essential oil is great for colds and sore throat. The cinnamon and eucalyptus are cold-busters as well. All of these combined give Thieves essential oil some great properties that will not only taste fabulous in your apple cider, but it’ll also help keep your immune system in top shape for the cold weather seasons.
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy.
You can also incorporate apple cider vinegar into these recipes if you wish. Apple cider vinegar has a ton of benefits that people are discovering. A few of them are:
- Probiotics. Apple cider vinegar has probiotics in it that can support a healthy gut and can help to boost immunity.
- Antibacterial. It may be able to help infections without the use of antibiotics, which kill all your healthy bacteria along with the bad.
- Stabilize blood sugar. Apple cider vinegar may be able to help stabilize your blood sugar during meals. Taking a shot before meals or bedtime may be beneficial, especially for people with diabetes or people who are pre-diabetic.
These are just a few benefits and please keep in mind that although there’s been some research done on to support these statements, apple cider vinegar is still not approved by the FDA to treat any condition. (Is anyone still listening to the FDA? Well, if you are, keep this in mind!)
So here’s some healthy apple cider recipes that taste great and give you the option of making apple cider the easy way or making it from scratch. I promise no one will judge you if you do it the easy way. Although promise you’ll try the other way sometime! It’s a great way to see how much work actually goes into things (not to mention it’s empowering to make stuff yourself)!
Healthy Apple Cider Recipes
These recipes are pretty easy and the first one only uses two ingredients! This recipe is probably ideal to feature at parties where you don’t have much time to prepare beforehand.
Easy Thieves Apple Cider Recipe
- ½ gallon of organic apple juice. Ensure it has no additives such as sugar or other juices. (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention to use organic because seriously, apples are known to have some pesticide residue hanging on them even after washing. If you can find local apples that haven’t been treated with pesticides, even better!)
- About 10 drops of Thieves essential oil
- Put your organic apple juice a pot or a crockpot (just make sure it’s not lined with Teflon. That non-stick coating breaks down at high temps!)
- Heat it up.
- Let it cool a bit before you put the essential oil in—this is because essential oils weren’t meant to be combined with high temps. Preserve the quality of the oil and let your cider cool a bit before adding it in.
The “I Want to Do it Myself” Apple Cider Recipe with Thieves Essential Oil
- 10 gala apples (you can pick any variety you want, but gala will be less tart and more sweet)
- 7-10 drops of Thieves essential oil
- Cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves if desired
- Slice the apples, put in a pot, cover with water, and boil for about an hour. You don’t need to remove the seeds or skins because you’ll be straining them out later.
- Let simmer for up to two hours then let cool a bit.
- Mash up the apples then strain the liquid out.
- Add your Thieves essential oil and other spices to taste if you’d like.
See, that wasn’t that hard. You’ll love the taste of Thieves essential oil combined with the sweetness of the apples. Don’t add sugar to these. The apples should be sweet enough as it is and you know that sugar isn’t good for you!
The cooler weather will be much more enjoyable with some tasty apple cider by your side. Buying apple cider at the store just doesn’t quite cut it anymore—much of it is filled with sugar and other additives. Keep these easy and tasty apple cider recipes on hand to make this season!
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!