Essential oils all have unique properties for our health and home. But when we combine them to create one incredibly powerful oil, the benefits and uses are even more abundant. “Thieves oil®” is actually a blend of five essential oils that can provide many benefits to your body and home. It’s perfect for attacking and preventing all sorts of infections and can kill the bacteria that’s hiding all over your house. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the benefits of Thieves Oil®.
What is Thieves Oil®?
Thieves oil® is a combination of up to five essential oils (a registered trademark of Young Living) , and the choice can be up to you. Mixtures can vary depending on the use, but the typical blend is clove, cinnamon bark, rosemary, lemon, and eucalyptus. This combination of essential oils are known for being anti-inflammatory (1), anti-microbial (2) and anti-bacterial (3), which makes them great for infection prevention.
Thieves Oil Uses
It is believed that diffusing Thieves Oil® can purify the air in your home, eliminate odors, add a pleasant aroma, support your immune system, and support your respiratory system.
Diffuse 15-20 drops of Thieves Oil® for 15 minutes three or four times a day in a diffuser. This can help clean the air while adding a nice fragrance to the room. As your family inhales the vapor, their lung, sinus, and respiratory functions are all being boosted.
Diffusing may help give your immune system the support it needs to stay active. Add a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil along with the Thieves Oil® in the diffuser for extra support for healthy lung and sinus function. Particularly during the colder months.
This is a great cleaning solution for all around the home. It’s antimicrobial effects clean the air and eliminate odors while safely and naturally killing bacteria.
- One drop of Thieves® essential oil for each ounce of water
- For a stronger solution one drop for every 1/2 ounce of water.
- Add the thieves® oil first, then add water. It mixes better that way.
- Shake vigorously before each use.
Thieves oil ® is not only good for deep aches and pains but also for protecting your body against infections. (4)
Get your Free copy of The Wicked Good Ketogenic Diet Cookbook
This free cookbook is jampacked with 148 delicious ketogenic recipes that will help you burn fat like crazy!
- Add one drop of thieves oil ® to 4 drops carrier oil (coconut, olive, vegetable).
- After testing for sensitivity, massage on your feet, lower back, neck and behind the ears.
- If this should get too warm, just rub carrier oil or V-6 on the spot. The neck is more sensitive than the back, chest, and feet.
Topical Immune Support
Dilute one drop of thieves oil® to 4 drops carrier oil and apply to bottom of feet. Use twice daily, morning and night, for extra immune support.
Add one drop of Thieves Oil® to 4 drops of carrier oil and apply to lower back, sternum, chest, and throat. This is great for supporting your respiratory health. (5)
Minor Cuts and Scrapes
Add one drop thieves oil ® to 4 drops of organic vegetable or carrier oil and apply to the wound. You can apply Thieves ® on gauze or band-aid and cover.
Thieves oil® is even great for your dental health! Put a drop of Thieves® on your toothbrush before brushing or add one drop per ounce of water, shake well and use as a mouthwash. To incorporate Thieves® into toothpaste, add two drops to 4 tbsp. of baking soda, place in a container and shake well. Dip your toothbrush in the mixture and brush your teeth. Thieves® can freshen breath, and its astringent properties help keep your mouth clean safely. Do not give this to children, and do not swallow any of the oil as it can be harmful when ingested in large amounts.
How to Make Your Own Thieves Oil
There isn’t just one way to make Thieves Oil. We’ll share our favorite blend here, but you can actually find three more excellent ones here! Have fun with them, experiment to find your favorite version of Thieves Oil, maybe blend…a blend.
What you’ll need to do is mix: (6)
- 40 drops of Clove essential oil
- 35 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 20 drops of Cinnamon essential oil
- 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops of Rosemary essential oil
Blend these oils together in a sterile container and store in a cool, dry place so it’s ready for your use any time. Oh, just a note: one 15 ml bottle of essential oil contains approximately 255 drops. One 5 ml bottle contains approximately 85 drops. (6) Hopefully this helps when you start making your own!
We hope some of these recipes keep you and your family healthy this winter. Let us know what worked for you!
Essential oils are very highly concentrated and potent, and it is important always to check the specific safety data provided. Keep out of reach of children, the elderly, and pets. For external use only. Avoid contact with mucous membranes and eyes. If any essential oils have touched your eye, wash out with a vegetable oil such as olive oil, not water.
Some oils may cause skin irritation in people with sensitive skin. It is recommended to perform a patch test before use. To patch test, place one drop on the back of your wrist and leave for an hour or more. If irritation or redness occurs wash the area with olive oil then cold water and do not use the oil.
We do not recommend the ingestion of essential oils except while under the care and direction of a qualified health practitioner.
- Silva, J., Abebe, W., Sousa, S., Duarte, V., Machado, M., & Matos, F. (2003). Analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of essential oils of Eucalyptus. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 89(2-3), 277-283. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2003.09.007
- Matan, N., Rimkeeree, H., Mawson, A., Chompreeda, P., Haruthaithanasan, V., & Parker, M. (2006). Antimicrobial activity of cinnamon and clove oils under modified atmosphere conditions. International Journal of Food Microbiology, 107(2), 180-185. doi:10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2005.07.007
- Safi, M., & Al-Mariri, A. (2014). In vitro antibacterial activity of several plant extracts and essential oils against Brucella melitensis. Herba Polonica, 60(1). doi:10.2478/hepo-2014-0003
- Cermelli, C., Fabio, A., Fabio, G., & Quaglio, P. (2007). Effect of Eucalyptus Essential Oil on Respiratory Bacteria and Viruses. Current Microbiology, 56(1), 89-92. doi:10.1007/s00284-007-9045-0
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes
Grab your copy before the offer runs out!