This article is shared with permission from our friends at Paleohacks.com.
Nut-Free Tiger Nuts
These Hidden Veggies Tiger Nut Brownies are a tasty way to use leftover zucchini and sneak in a healthy dose of veggies!
I often get asked for nut-free recipes, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce you to baking with tiger nuts (If you don’t know about them already).
I know what you’re thinking. Tiger nuts? Didn’t I just say nut-free? Technically, Tiger nuts aren’t nuts at all. They’re tiny starchy tubers with a mildly sweet, nutty flavor that grow under the ground.
If you’re dealing with an allergy, tiger nut flour is a great way to substitute any nut or coconut flour while still keeping it gluten-free and Paleo-friendly.
These brownies are an easy treat with healthy hidden vegetables. But don’t worry, they don’t taste like zucchini. Both the flavor and the texture of the grated zucchini melt into the brownies, creating a subtle sweetness and a soft texture. The best part is that they are naturally sweetened with dates, making them deliciously guilt-free.
Claim Your FREE Copy of The Easy 5-Ingredient Ketogenic Diet Cookbook Now!
Hidden Veggies Tiger Nut Recipe
Recipe by: Zoe Raissakis
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 12 squares
These brownies are a tasty way to use leftover zucchini and sneak in a healthy dose of veggies!
- Square baking dish
- Medium bowl
- Small saucepan
For the Brownies:
- 1 cup tiger nut flour
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 t bicarb soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- ¼ cup raw chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Medjool dates, pitted (7 dates)
For the Ganache:
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup raw chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup Medjool pitted dates (7 dates)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients (tigernut flour, raw cacao powder, bicarb soda) in a medium bowl.
- Add the dates, eggs, raw chocolate chunks, and vinegar to a blender. Blend until well combined.Make a well in the dry ingredients, then gently pour wet ingredients into the center. Stir until combined.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, then gently pour wet ingredients into the center. Stir until combined.Add the grated zucchini to the mixture and combine.
- Add the grated zucchini to the mixture and combine. Pour mixture into lined baking dish.
- Pour mixture into lined baking dish.Bake for 35 minutes or until
- Bake for 35 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- For the ganache: Heat the milk in a small saucepan until just simmering, then transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add the chocolate to the bowl and cover so it can melt.
- Add the chocolate milk mixture, salt and dates to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Frost brownies generously with ganache. Slice into 12 even squares.
A quick note from our founders
Claim Your FREE Copy of
Discover 131 delicious fat-shredding keto recipes inside this special edition of this New York Times bestseller… plus more. And today we’re GIVING it away 100% FREE!