Can’t sleep? Wake up several times in the middle of the night? Or maybe you get your full eight hours of sleep but still feel tired for the rest of the day? The problem is probably the mattress you’re sleeping on. Here’s are tips on how to find a better, safer mattress that will let you get the sleep you deserve.
We talk about sleep a lot here on the PaleoHacks blog.
And it’s with good reason. Along with proper nutrition and exercise, it’s one of the pillars for more energy, longevity, and vibrant health!
Most people aren’t giving sleep the attention it deserves. You know the type: the people who’d rather watch “just one more episode” (famous last words) on Netflix than turn in when they should. Some even take pride in bragging about how little sleep they get.
Here’s the thing, though. Inadequate sleep sends your cortisol (stress hormone) levels through the roof, weakens your immune system, and even shortens your life. It isn’t something to mess around with.
But even if you do set aside enough time for sleep, that’s no guarantee you won’t wake up fatigued and in pain.
Let’s get to the bottom of this. We’ll talk about something you might not have considered… and how making one simple change will help you get the sleep your body desperately needs.
What If You’re Doing Everything Right but Still Can’t Sleep?
Millions of people don’t have their diet,exercise, or stress handled. They’ll never get the quality, restful sleep they crave until they take care of those things first.
That’s what makes the whole sleep issue even more frustrating. You’re doing everything right… so how come you still aren’t sleeping soundly?
Creating the proper environment is key. It’s a topic we’ve touched on in the past. Seemingly small things – everything from taking electronics out of the bedroom to eliminating sources of blue light – add up and can make a huge improvement in your sleep quality.
Unfortunately, many people with great intentions make those changes without ever really considering the most important element:
The mattresses they’re spending one-third of their lives on!
Is Your Mattress Ruining Your Sleep? Look Out for These Red Flags
Is it time to replace your mattress?
It seems like a simple question. Most mattress companies urge you to get a new one every seven or eight years. But the American Chiropractic Association says there’s no such thing as a standard mattress lifespan.
This can be a big investment… and incredibly frustrating if you don’t know whether it’s time to follow through or keep waiting.
Time’s effects on mattresses are usually gradual. Unless a spring pops or breaks – a clear sign it’s time to replace. Most of us will keep using mattresses longer than we should.
Can’t tell if it’s time to start thinking about a new mattress?
5 Warning Signs Your Mattress Needs Replacing
- You’re in pain. Over time, your once-flat mattress starts to sag in the middle. This creates an uneven sleep surface, which makes it much more likely you’ll end up with back pain or muscle aches after getting some shuteye. Lumpy, sagging mattresses don’t offer enough support for your spine. We already know how harmful poor posture is when we’re awake. With a bad mattress, you’re exposing your body to 8 more hours of that each day! It can become a vicious cycle. Your mattress causes pain, and your pain makes it harder to sleep – something almost 60 percent of Americans deal with regularly. (1)
- You toss and turn all night. Many people toss and turn as their bodies search to find the most comfortable position on their mattresses. Lumpy, uneven spots can make this an endless task. It can take hours for your body to find the “sweet spot” in an old mattress, and when you move the slightest bit in your sleep, it starts all over again!
- You wake up and can’t go back to sleep. What about those nights where you wake up at three in the morning and watch the minutes on the clock crawl by? Your mattress might be to blame. The combination of inadequate support, pressure on your shoulders and hips, and a sagging surface can make falling back asleep impossible… even if your body is running on empty.
- You wake up tired all the time. If your diet and exercise are on point and you’re allowing yourself seven to eight hours of sleep, you shouldn’t feel wiped out when you wake up in the morning. If that’s the case, your mattress could be to blame. It might be too soft, firm, or uneven, causing your body to constantly readjust throughout the night.
- You’re experiencing allergy symptoms. Over time, your mattress collects dead skin and body oils. Dust mites – a single mattress can hold up to 10 million of these microscopic critters – feed on the skin and oils. (2) Around 20 million people in America are allergic to dust mites, which can result in sneezing, itching, watery eyes, runny noses, and coughing (3). Dust mites can be especially harmful for people with asthma.
Does any of that sound familiar?
It’s time to start thinking about a new mattress. Keep reading for more key things to keep in mind.
Toxic Chemicals: An Unseen Danger
Most mattress companies are stuck in the 1960s. They use technologies from that time period when they’re producing their mattresses.
Did you know that most mattresses can “off-gas,” a process where they give off harmful chemicals in gas form?
It’s true. The vast majority of mattresses contain toxic materials including:
- Boric acid
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
Manufacturers use this cocktail of dangerous chemicals to make foam fillers, adhesives, and to make their mattresses water-resistant.
But it doesn’t stop there…
In 2007, the U.S. federal government passed a law requiring mattresses to be manufactured with a chemical “fire barrier” to help prevent accidents. (4) Some chemicals which companies use for fire barriers – including PCDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers), which have been linked to asthma, non-diagnosed sleep disorders, and even cancer – add another layer of danger. (5)
You’ve probably experienced the effects of these chemicals already. You know how when you buy a mattress there’s often a “new mattress smell?” That scent comes from these dangerous chemicals! The smell fades over time, but toxins continue to be released.
With your face only inches away from your mattress, you’re inhaling these chemicals every time you rest. And not only that: these toxins can also seep through your pores. One study found that mice exposed to mattress emissions had decreased air flow and developed irritation in their respiratory systems. (6)
These toxins are especially harmful for infants and young children. They sleep more than adults, so they’re exposed more often. Also, children’s mattresses often incorporate extra chemicals to prevent bed-wetting from ruining their mattresses. That opens up an entirely new can of worms!
Most people focus on comfort alone, but toxins are an overlooked factor that can have a huge impact on your health.
Which Mattresses Are Safe?
If you want to avoid the toxins found in the majority of mattresses, you have a few options to consider. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Certified organic mattresses. Believe it or not, mattresses can actually come certified organic just like foods, as long as they meet the Global Organic Textile Standards. (7) These avoid some of the harmful toxins you’d find in conventional mattresses, but they don’t always offer the best back support. They tend to be expensive. Finally, organic mattresses are also more susceptible to microbial growth. More on organic in just a second.
- Wool mattresses. Wool is naturally flame-resistant. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of confusion about whether just using a wool mattress alone is enough to meet the strict U.S. regulations. Some manufacturers claim that’s the case, but others add dangerous chemicals to make their mattresses flame-retardant without ever labeling them for the consumer to see (the law doesn’t require them to).
- Prescription chemical-free mattresses. You can buy mattresses not treated with toxic flame-resistant chemicals. But it takes the hassle of a doctor’s prescription to do it! That means you’ll have to demonstrate to your doctor some type of allergy or symptom related to conventional mattress use. Also, avoiding fire-retardant chemicals alone doesn’t guarantee you’ll avoid petrochemicals, polyurethane, PVC, and other dangerous stuff found in most mattresses.
- IntelliBED. These mattresses are designed to be completely non-toxic and provide the support your body needs. You get safety and comfort – without having to compromise. IntelliBED mattresses also accommodate even the most allergy-sensitive people to ensure no one has to suffer from those symptoms or breathing issues. While these mattresses aren’t technically organic, you’ll see why that’s actually a good thing just below.
Why Certified Organic Mattresses Aren’t the Best Choice
It’s understandable to assume that organic mattresses would be superior to anything else.
After all, they avoid many of the toxic chemicals found in typical mattresses. This is a big step…
But that alone doesn’t make them the best choice for your mattress needs.
Organic mattresses can be incredibly expensive – don’t be surprised to see price tags of $5,000 or more. Unfortunately, many of these products just don’t offer the support your body needs to match their hefty price tags. Organic mattresses are also vulnerable to microbial growth.
Fortunately, you have another option.
The Solution: Safety and Support with IntelliBED
For optimal sleep, you need adequate support and to avoid toxic chemicals.
IntelliBED gives you both.
IntelliBED mattresses are the result of extensive research, doctor and patient reviews, and third-party testing. It’s the first ever gel-based, medical-grade sleep surface.
Their mattresses technically aren’t organic because the Intelli-Gel inside them (more on that in just a second) is made with mineral oil. However, this process – and all the other materials IntelliBED uses to manufacture mattresses – have been widely tested and are 100 percent non-toxic and safe.
IntelliBED mattresses focus on these key pillars:
- Superior back support. Sleeping with the spine not aligned properly is one of the leading causes of lower back pain. IntelliBED mattresses help you avoid this by ensuring your spine always stays aligned.
- Reduced tossing and turning. IntelliBED mattresses are designed to help you sleep throughout the night instead of constantly tossing and turning. The gel technology keeps your body comfortable and balanced, helping you relieve pressure on your shoulders, hips, and other pressure points.
- A safer night’s sleep. IntelliBED mattresses are completely non-toxic. You don’t have to worry about the off-gassing of toxic chemicals. They’re also anti-microbial, which keeps harmful bacteria from growing. These mattresses also uses an inert, silica-based flame retardant that protects you from fires but is completely non-toxic.
- Durability. IntelliBED mattresses are designed to last for not just years, but decades. Materials used to manufacture them are between four and 10 times more durable than memory foam or other mattresses.
IntelliBED Intelli-Gel Makes All The Difference
Intelli-Gel is the signature feature of IntelliBED mattresses, which separates it from other mattress brands and helps it offer the incredible benefits above.
What is it?
Intelli-Gel is the most advanced cushioning material ever created for properly supporting the human body. Because this patented gel redistributes pressure so effectively, hospitals actually use it to prevent bed-ridden patients from getting bed sores.
Intelli-Gel keeps your body comfortable, balanced, and aligned. It eases pressure on the hips and shoulders, which keeps them from sending signals to the body to move. That makes it easier to stay in those key deep sleep periods. It also creates a firm foundation to keep your body properly aligned.
The gel technology is made from food-grade materials, so it’s non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
Get the Restful Sleep and Energy You Deserve
Purchasing the right mattress can be expensive, but it’s well worth the investment.
Think about it. Most of us spend around one-third of our lives on these things!
Imagine just how much more you’ll be able to get done every day – how much easier it will be to get the most out of life – if you woke up each morning with tons of energy, ready to take on whatever life throws at you.
With benefits like those, it doesn’t take long for your investment to pay off. Thanks to IntelliBED’s industry-leading 30-year warranty, there’s nothing to worry about. Instead of diving into the overwhelming process of mattress shopping every few years, you can rest easy knowing you made the smart decision.
If you want to try an IntelliBED mattress and experience the results yourself, you can always take advantage of their 60-day no-risk trial offer.
You deserve to sleep soundly – without exposing yourself to dangerous chemicals.
This article was republished with permission from blog.paleohacks.com.
A Special Message From Our Founders
Over the past few years of working with health experts all over the world, there’s one major insight we’ve learned.
Most health problems can often be resolved with a good diet, exercise and a few powerful superfoods. In fact, we’ve gone through hundreds of scientific papers and ‘superfood’ claims and only selected the top 5% that are:
- Backed by scientific research
- Simple to use
We then put this valuable information into the Superfood as Medicine Guide: a 100+ page guide on the 7 most powerful superfoods available, including:
- Exact dosages for every health ailment
- DIY recipes to create your own products
- Simple recipes